gsp01

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
hello everyone. my friend has a problem with his computer. here is his dillemma as he tells it:

Here's his symptoms:
After booting from the Windows XP SP2 cd, and copying all the "setup" files, my pc attempts to start the installation program. The "Starting Windows" message displays in the bottom for 20 or so seconds, until the first screen of Windows Installation appears [the Press Enter to install windows, press R to Recover a previous Windows O.S screen]. However, this screen only flashes for a second or two before i can hear my harddrives power down, which is promptly followed by my pc shutting down.
I have tried several different combinations with several different harddrives(single/dual), and have done all of these using different memory modules on their respective settings. When i brought my pc home from my local PC Store, the only change i made to the hardware was to pull out a malfunctioning floppy.

Here’s his specs:
powercolour radeon 9600 pro
maxtor 7200 rpm IDE 60 gig
western digital 7200 rpm IDE 120 gig
ECS P4M800-M mobo.
generic 300W power supply.
ocz value ddr400 512 mb 2.5-4-4-8
hynix ddr333 512 mb 2.5-3-3-5 [i think?]
pentium 4 2.53 ghz, northwood core 533 fsb

im not sure what else to try, so any help for him will be greatly appreciated

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
may also be that the install of windows had a correpted file installed maybe because of a scratch on the disk or smudge. may need to clean or re-surface the disk and do fresh install. I had a this problem 6 months ago!!

PSU could be the problem too! ( have it tested before buying a new one!!)

good luck

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
may also be that the install of windows had a correpted file installed maybe because of a scratch on the disk or smudge. may need to clean or re-surface the disk and do fresh install. I had a this problem 6 months ago!!

friend of mine had to use My install CD to get past this same exact problem. CD was screwed from scratches. I've personally had the same problem cuz my CD drive lense was dirty. I switched to me other drive and it worked perfectly.

gsp01

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
ok my friend finally got back to me today, he says its probably his cd, cuz its not in the best shape, so he's gonna get another one.
but now his PS died on him, whih i figured had happened in the fisrt place. his mobo light doesnt come on anymore, so he has to get a new one, and ill make sure he gets a decent one, so as to not have a problem like this happen again.
thx for all tour replys, and ill be sure to tell him to out that gremlin repellent in.