Computer Random Restart

alohababy

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Computer randomly restarts without warning? Already checked online for power supply and advanced power setting issues. I do not get a blue screen but just the boot up screen that usually comes up when first turning on the computer. I also checked my drivers and those are all up to date. I am currently running windows 10. I am not very experienced at fixing problems like this and would like to see if anyone has some troubleshooting I could try aside from the ones above I have tried.

Solution
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than three passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than three passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
We're also seeing a lot of random restarts caused by the "fixes" for Spectre and Meltdown. Yesterday, Intel suggested you NOT install any of their fixes until they fix them. For most people, it's too late. I strongly recommend that you do settings->Update & Security->Windows Update->Check for updates and get all the latest updates from Microsoft installed. Make sure your discreet GPU driver is up to date (if you have one). If you have a commercial-built computer (Dell, Asus, Lenovo, etc) see if they have a recommended BIOS update specifically for Spectre/Meltdown. Otherwise, I would not update my BIOS at this time. Once you've done all that, you can start trouble shooting components.