Computer randomly asks me to reboot and select proper boot device + Settings returned to default values

TTD187

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Hi, I've been randomly getting this issue which I am able to fix, though I do obviously have the desire to remove the issue permanently.

I've noticed that when it happens, a simple reboot doesn't work, I can't access the BIOS or anything else for that matter. Strangely, I'm however able to fix this by unplugging my power supply and allowing any excess power to run out. This does bring me to another issue however in that any BIOS settings I previously had gets reset to their defaults. I knew this was an issue before as I'd often turn everything off at the wall, but since leaving my PC on, I've experienced the formerly mentioned issue.

I imagine the two are related somehow, could anyone give some advice on what the issue might be?

Solution
I agree with Shaun o, but will suggest a more complete process to be sure you get your system re-set completely. He / she is quite right - your battery is dead and needs to be replaced. Look at it carefully to find the type number on it, and buy one - should be easy to find in any computer or electronics shop. Then ...

1. Shut down the system and disconnect the power cord.
2. Open the case and locate the battery. Very close to it should be a set of three pins with a jumper on two of them in the "normal" position.
3. Remove the battery, noting which way you need to install the new one, but don't install yet.
4. Move that Reset jumper to the other pin pair marked "Reset". Leave it there for 10 to 20 seconds, then replace it in the...
The issue is.

You need to replace the bios coin cell battery of the motherboard.
If the coin cell battery is low on power.
And say you power the system on and it has reset all settings to default back to factory default settings TTD 187.

It is all you need to do to fix the problem.
To confirm it is the case of a flat coin cell cmos battery.

When you enter the bios of the motherboard the time, date and year settings of the real time clock use on the motherboard and also displayed at windows desktop when the system boots or loads with be wrong each time the system is powered off for any period of time.

The battery needs to carry a full charge as it is used to retain and current settings stored in the bios selected or changed then saved.

The battery you need is a CR 2332 coin cell battery TTD187.

And should cost you around £1 or $1 to buy.

Then simply replace the old battery for the new one.
And make sure that if there is any bios jumper pins on the motherboard to set the bios back to factory default settings.
That the normal operation mode is selected if it requires to be bridged by a jumper pin.

And not constantly set to clear the bios.
Please double check this, as when it is also set or clear cmos is bridged or shorted via two pins constantly on the motherboard it is why you cannot enter the bios of the motherboard when you press the key to enter it on your keyboard TTD187.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with Shaun o, but will suggest a more complete process to be sure you get your system re-set completely. He / she is quite right - your battery is dead and needs to be replaced. Look at it carefully to find the type number on it, and buy one - should be easy to find in any computer or electronics shop. Then ...

1. Shut down the system and disconnect the power cord.
2. Open the case and locate the battery. Very close to it should be a set of three pins with a jumper on two of them in the "normal" position.
3. Remove the battery, noting which way you need to install the new one, but don't install yet.
4. Move that Reset jumper to the other pin pair marked "Reset". Leave it there for 10 to 20 seconds, then replace it in the "normal" position.
5. Now install the new battery. Close up the case and re-connect the power cord.
6. Boot directly into BIOS Setup. Go to the last screens where you have options like "Load Default Settings" and "Load Optimized Settings", etc. Load optimized often it best if you have that option. This will ensure that a complete set of BIOS settings is loaded and working.
7. Now go back to the opening screen of BIOS Setup. Set your date and time, etc. Re-set any custom settings you had (you seem to know these). Make sure your Boot Priority Sequence is set the way you need. When you have all your settings correct, remember to SAVE and EXIT. The machine should boot the way it used to.
8. Shut down, wait a few seconds, then start up again. The machine should still boot with all your settings working, and the date and time correct.

Solution

TTD187

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I'm actually moving tomorrow so am in the process of packing my PC away. I'll get back to you tomorrow or Sunday with confirmation on it being the BIOS battery. I've strangely had a few issues that arose after taking my PC for repair just a few months ago. It went in not being able to start due to the power supply, came back with a faulty GPU and it seems broken tabs in places.

TTD187

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

You're welcome, but I think the problems aren't what they seemed. After unpacking my PC and placing all the parts again, I pushed the battery slightly and no more returning to default settings, so I'm thinking the battery just wasn't placed properly. I also noticed that the one of the power connectors was broken and can't be sure which of my devices it was attached to, but I figure, if it was connected to the SSD, that would be why I was having those issues.

Everything seems to be running beautifully smooth now. Got an issue with the wireless, but I'm hoping I'll be able to sort that.