[SOLVED] Computer randomly crashing while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyLightDance

Prominent
Sep 9, 2020
Computer will randomly crash while I'm gaming, the games themselves aren't particularly demanding at all. One being a GBA emulator and the other being a game from the early 2010s. What happens before the crash is consistent across the board where it'll freeze and play the last half second of audio on loop for a couple times before instantly shutting down and rebooting.

Also have some of the important items from the event viewer.

Build
Zen 3 5600k
NVidia Geforce GTX 1070
X570 Tomahawk
G Skill Ripjaws 3600 32gb
Super Flower Leadex III 850w 80+ gold

Event Viewer 1)8:48:54
Source - WHEA Logger
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Event Viewer 2) 8:48:50
Source - Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly

Solution
The computer will freeze and hang for a solid half second and then restart suddenly reboot without any blue screening.
sounds like hardware to me.

5600k or 5600x? there is a difference... ones from 2012 and the other was released only recently.

If you on a 5600x the new BIOS could help since its only new. BIOS updates can fix teething issues in new CPU/memory usage.

how long it been crashing for? How old is PC?
Is this ram - G Skill Ripjaws 3600 32gb - on here - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-19 (click compatibility and then RX 5000)

You wouldn't expect them to use much ram but
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Event Viewer 1)8:48:54
Source - WHEA Logger
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8
this seems to indicate its a hardware problem of some kind. The solutions above are unlikely to assist you.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Do you have the latest BIOS?

SkyLightDance

Prominent
Sep 9, 2020
this seems to indicate its a hardware problem of some kind. The solutions above are unlikely to assist you.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Do you have the latest BIOS?
Sorry for the long wait, but so far it hasn't been able to create a dump file after I've followed the steps. So I've been wondering if I've been describing something else, so I'll try to reexplain the whole situation. The computer will freeze and hang for a solid half second and then restart suddenly reboot without any blue screening.

As for the BIOS, it isn't the latest one, but its pretty recent by the account of a month or two, but I'll update it anyways to see where it goes

Colif

Win 11 Master
The computer will freeze and hang for a solid half second and then restart suddenly reboot without any blue screening.

5600k or 5600x? there is a difference... ones from 2012 and the other was released only recently.

If you on a 5600x the new BIOS could help since its only new. BIOS updates can fix teething issues in new CPU/memory usage.

Is this ram - G Skill Ripjaws 3600 32gb - on here - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-19 (click compatibility and then RX 5000)

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Solution

SkyLightDance

Prominent
Sep 9, 2020

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Its the zen 3 5600x
Bios is updated to the latest version
RAM sticks unfortunately aren't in the QVL (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
The build is pretty new, its been assembled for about 2 weeks and has been randomly crashing on anything not named a browser.
Reusing an old HDD + 1070 in the meantime until I can find a 3080
Gave Memtest about 8 passes and hasn't given me any errors regarding the RAM

Colif

Win 11 Master
I seem to see that G Skill ram a lot these days.

it could be as simple as the ram not being the same latency as the ram they have tested with motherboard.

these are the only 16gb stacks tested By MSI that are 3600 - https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3600MHz-CL17-19-19-39-1.35V64GB-(4x16GB) - and their specs are 17-19-19-39 and they are part of a 64gb set.

your ram is 16-19-19-39

if you want 32gb of G Skill the only set they tested is - https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/168/1536226912/F4-3600C17Q-32GTZ-Specification (4 x 8gb)

You lucky they tested any. Some boards updated to support new CPU but not released new ram lists and its hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.