Computer randomly dies and then automaticly reboots

Apr 16, 2018
So i bought my computer about half a year ago and it has been fine until now. Randomly my computer dies with out warning and then reboots itself.

Gpu: Nvidia gtx 1070
MoBo: MSI x299 sli plus
Cpu: i5 7640x 4.00 GHz
ram i use 2x 8gb
Psu: Evga supernova G3 550w

Solution
I'm pretty sure you'll find it useful, if you didn't yet, and i'm sure it's a piece of cake for you.
This is an instruction for "dummies", but i usually start with such things for myself, as these usually have good didactics, and come to the point, without getting lost in details:
http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/
Same for taskmanager:
https://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-to-use-the-new-task-manager-in-windows-8/
Use both to watch your system for a while, and try to relate events in the logs and events in taskmanager to your phenomenons.

An example:
It is common myth, that PCs reboot when they overheat. That is long over. When a component is used intensively, like in a...

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Ok, thank you. Ok, a short embarrassing silence... The PSU is the "Power supply unit", where you named the CPU... :O)
WHat i know now is about how much power your PC uses.
The PSU ... you can see the latest mass-review here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
I assume that some component of your new PC gives in now and then, and the PSU is (very often) the cause for the phenomenon you describe.
Other possible - but less likely - causes are bad cooling of your CPU, and softeware-problems.
Once i know about your PSU, i can give further hints for diagnosis.

Apr 16, 2018

Oh yeah ofc... I changed it now

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Last question: What is the exact model of your graphics card?

All in all, your PC is quite power hungry (approx. 70W per the reviews in idle is not small). Still, the wattage of your (quite good!) PSU is more than high enough (theoretically even good enough for another GTX 1070, if both models are not overclocked... i wouldn't do that, though...)

I'd now start by checking your windows system logs. You know how to use those?
Using task-manager to diagnosing spontaneous reboots is futile, but i'd install software which shows temperatures of your chipset, GPU and CPU.
Do you have such a thing in your package for the MoBo?

Apr 16, 2018

it's a asus 1070 strix. I use HwMonitor and the temp never exceeds past 50 degree celsius on any of the mentioned above. No I don't think i know how to use windows system logs

ragnar-gd

Reputable
I'm pretty sure you'll find it useful, if you didn't yet, and i'm sure it's a piece of cake for you.
This is an instruction for "dummies", but i usually start with such things for myself, as these usually have good didactics, and come to the point, without getting lost in details:
http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/
Same for taskmanager:
https://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-to-use-the-new-task-manager-in-windows-8/
Use both to watch your system for a while, and try to relate events in the logs and events in taskmanager to your phenomenons.

An example:
It is common myth, that PCs reboot when they overheat. That is long over. When a component is used intensively, like in a benchmark, yes, temps will be high. But only in a system that is built up in a good way. When they reach their thermal limit, they'll "throttle" (become a bit slower, in effect) instead of restarting.
But when PCs overheats locally, like on a small spot on your CPU where there is noc contact to the cooler, perhaps because a small bubble of air is where thermal paste should have been, the CPU throttles immediately, very often, but only for a very short time, miliseconds. And so, the software will report the same temp, as the sensors are not fast enough to discern the effect. Sucha PC will show stuttering, but "ok" temps, and people have problems identifying the cause. And then, when this is getting out of hands, sometimes within milliseconds, the PC will restart, as a way to protect itself (this is built into the system).

The same may be the case with your PSU. Perhaps some components of the PSU (or some components of your Motherboard) have been built in a suboptimal way, already at the time of manufacturing. When the PSU/MoBo is in use for some time, these parts will degrade by the ongoing local heat, but still work. But, after some time (weeks, months, sometimes a year), they fail once in a while when getting hot, and then your system suddenly reboots. Involved are in 99% of the cases the electronics transfroming the alternating current (AC) of your power plug to the 12V direct current (DC) that your PC components use.

These reasons are hard to identify, as they usually are not included in logs, as the system reboots so fast, logs cannot be written. The only way to find out, is by exchanging parts (first the PSU), and watching if the symptoms stop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS