Question Computer randomly dropping all USB connections and restarting them

Tigro

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I have a computer running Windows 10 but for a few months now, one issue has been driving me insane even though I've tried really hard to ignore it. Namely, sometimes the PC just randomly drops all USB connections and restart all of them afresh as if you restarted the whole computer. Say you're watching a YouTube video and suddenly out of nowhere the headphones stop playing (theyre connected through a USB DAC), the microphone turns off (again, a USB one), the mouse and keyboard stop reacting with the cursor stopping mid-flight, the frigging RAM sticks LEDs turn off... and then everything just powers back up again. The mouse and keyboard LED starts working and they're responsive again, the mic lights up, the RAM sticks' LED goes to the default colour and then back to my custom one. As if nothing ever happened. Well, other than you having to restart the browser tab cause otherwise the audio won't start playing again.

Why in the world is that happening? I have Windows Update on, have been a power user for years and years so I'm not downloading random malware or having my disk cluttered with garbage, or clicking things unknowingly. Honestly, I don't really remember a time when that was not happening on this new PC, may have very well been with me from the start. I just can't pinpoint what triggers it. From my observation, it happens most frequently when using YouTube on Firefox which is my main browser. Only happened once ever when gaming, for example - when I plugged the controller into an empty USB port while in game.

My specs:
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
  • CPU: Intel i9-9900K
  • GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
  • RAM: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 Ballistix Black
  • SSD: PNY 1TB XLR8 CS3030 + Samsung EVO 860
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750W 80 Plus Gold
  • Fan: Noctua NH-D15S

Tigro

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I've checked the Event Log a few times right after this happened but there are no errors or anything out of the ordinary happening there which makes me even more baffled...