Question Computer randomly drops internet once every couple of hours.

Feb 1, 2019
I have a windows 10 computer and its drops internet for about 5 to 10 seconds once an hour. It wouldn't be a big issue if I wasnt a gamer and constantly being booted from servers and having to reconnect to play with my friends. I've tried everything, I've tried using ethernet, I've tried turning off power management in device manager, and I've tried resetting my router thinking it was its issue. However, whenever the internet cuts out on my pc it still works fine on other devices such as my phone. It cuts out too whenever my girlfriend ISNT watching Netflix. I dont know what it could be. I could use some help

Is your internet cutting out or are the gaming servers having issues? Are you purposely getting kicked from them?

Perform the below tests using copper ethernet connection. Always test on copper before trying to diagnose wireless nuances.
Open up a command prompt or powershell prompt. Type the following and hit enter: ping 8.8.8.8 -t

You should get repeating lines similar to this. If not let me know.

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=54

If you are getting the above consistently for a few mins, leave this open and jump into your game. When you get kicked out of the server, leave the game and check the pings. Are you still getting the above or did you get a couple/few/many "request timed out," messages?

Feb 1, 2019
My internet cuts out but only on my computer its not my internet either it has to be my pc because whenever it cuts out on my pc I can still connect to the internet on my phone. I'll run that test whenever i get home from work and post results.

If you typed "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" in a command prompt window or powershell window and got a "could not find host" message then you've got some internet issues going on on your computer.
Whether there's something wrong with your internet, something wrong with your computer, or there are some kind of controls in place on the network or your computer specifically, I don't know. This issue needs to get resolved first. It could be something as simple as ICMP not being allowed but that would lead to the question, "What other things are being blocked/limited."

Try performing the ping test on other computers and/or mobile devices.

TRENDING THREADS