Question Computer randomly freezes and then restarts, possible ram issue?

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
Hello,

System Info, to start with:

• CPU -Intel i7 8700K not overclocked
  • MOBO - Z370 AORUS Gaming K3-CF
  • RAM - 2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • GPU - Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti not overclocked
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W
  • COOLER - Noctua NH-D15, using 2 cooling fans

For about a week now, I've been having some issues with my PC, where it suddenly freezes and restarts. I used to keep the PC on the floor, but before the freezes started happening, i moved it on my desk and the first time it froze and restarted was when i hit the desk with my leg by mistake. After that, it started happening randomly, without me hitting anything.

I have tried to check whether it happens only when certain programs are active, like only browsers, Discord, games, but it happens regardless of what's active and sometimes even without any programs opened.

My first thought was that maybe it's the RAM's fault, maybe it got displaced, so I reseated it and ran MemTest86, which returned 27 errors in Test 6 [Block move, 64 moves] with XMP on, running at 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 1.35V View: https://i.imgur.com/n2aV6W7.jpg
, but no errors with XMP off, running at the default 2133MHz. While I haven't yet tested if I still get random freezes at 2133MHz, what's weird to me is that for the past two years I've been running XMP with no problems at all.

Is the RAM defective because MemTest reported those errors? Should they also pop up at 2133MHz for it to actually be defective? Or could some other piece of hardware be at fault for the issues?

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard, then once done, manually input the frequency, voltage and timings for your ram(without X.M.P) and see if the issue persists. How old is your PSU? You might want to see if the system, while breadboarded, and that the cooler isn't making contact with any metals parts on your board, exhibits the same issue.

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
The PSU is 2 years and 1 month old. I believe the cooler does touch the upper side of the RAM, but the RAM itself is covered in plastic, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm if they touched. The cooler is so large that it actually covers the two RAM sticks, but I think it doesn't support its weight on them at all.