Question Computer randomly freezes or instantly turns off with the new RAM that has same voltage and speed of my old ones

Sep 29, 2023
Recently i installed a new RAM ( Kingston KVR16N11/8 DDR3 8GB )
The ram has the same voltage and speed as my 2 original RAMS ( Smart Modular PC3-12800 4GB )

The computer boots up normally, and i can use the PC normally without any problems, the computer isn't slowing down, isn't stuttering or anything, but for some reason, after a random amount of time ( can go from 1 to 9 hours ) the computer turns off instantly or freezes for 5 seconds and then turns off, it doesn't matter if i'm playing a heavy game or just chatting on discord, when the new RAM is installed this always happens in a completely random time span

I tested the RAM with MemTest86 and no troubles were found with it, and i also tried removing my 2 original rams and only leaving the new RAM in by itself, and it still the same problem persists

I am suspecting of it being a PSU problem since mine it's an old 280W one, but it doesn't make sense in my head of why it would happen while the ram is completely alone by itself since it has the same voltage and speed as the original 2 ones, Can any experts help?

my PC specs:

Motherboard: Lenovo Sharkbay 0B98401 PRO
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570
GPU: GTX 750 TI 2GB
PSU: FSP Group 280W

Recently i installed a new RAM ( Kingston KVR16N11/8 DDR3 8GB )
The ram has the same voltage and speed as my 2 original RAMS ( Smart Modular PC3-12800 4GB )
That's one of the downsides of mixing RAM modules, Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.

To avoid issues, modules with identical specifications found on a RAM kit should be used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. A motherboard could even refuse to work all together.
The RAM that goes into a RAM kit (package) has been tested to work together.
There are times that different RAM modules, even if they look similar, and have the same model they could have different IC chips brands.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one RAM modules to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

Reactions: AReallyGoodName
Sep 29, 2023
That's one of the downsides of mixing RAM modules, Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.

To avoid issues, modules with identical specifications found on a RAM kit should be used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. A motherboard could even refuse to work all together.
The RAM that goes into a RAM kit (package) has been tested to work together.
There are times that different RAM modules, even if they look similar, and have the same model they could have different IC chips brands.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one RAM modules to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.
Thanks a lot! so that means i should instead buy the same ram as my original ones if i want to install more ram on my PC? sorry just masking sure since i'm an dunce at this

Thanks a lot! so that means i should instead buy the same ram as my original ones if i want to install more ram on my PC? sorry just masking sure since i'm an dunce at this
Nope, that is not what I meant.
You might not be able to get the same exact RAM as the one you already have.
You might find RAM modules that might have the same model and they appear to have the same specifications, but many times they could have different IC chips.
A memory company like Smart Modular, Kingston, etc. might sell RAM stick models with IC chips from different manufacturers, so internal timings do differ.

To be sure that RAM modules are going to work together, then you should get a RAM kit, which has been tested to work together.
Otherwise you could be taking a chance.

If your motherboard BIOS allows it, you could play with the timers and see if you could get them to work together.