Question Computer randomly freezes

Mar 7, 2021
Hi, please could someone help me solve my issue of my computer randomly freezing or provide me with other things i can try.

The computer just freezes on whatever i have up at the time of it happening & i have to hold the power button to turn the computer off & then turn it back on again. (no blue screen or errors show up)

Its been happening for around a year now, it doesnt seem to have a specific time frame for it happening like i could be on my computer for an hour before it happens or it might not happen for days. It also doesnt only happen when im doing something specific as its happened when ive been doing some general browsing on the internet & its happened when gaming.

If i check the event viewer after i turn my computer on it says "Critical - Event 41 Kernel-power - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

What i have done:

• Checked all drivers/updates

• Cleaned any dust inside the PC

• Had temps open on the screen until it happens so i can see what the temps were the exact moment it happened - Temps are fine

• Windows memory diagnostic - RAM came back fine

• Downloaded Crystal disk info to check hard drive - Health Status Good

• Took graphics card out for 3 days & used on board graphics which within the 3 days it didnt freeze & when i put the graphics card back in it also didnt freeze for another 3 days so im not sure if the graphics card is the fault but it didnt do it for 3 days or the computer just didnt freeze for 6 days & the card is fine.
I dont have any other parts to swap out to narrow it down so could do with possibly finding the issue another way so i can be sure i replace the correct part

My computer spec (if needed - i know its old but other than the freezing it does what i want it to & plays the games i play)
Intel core i5-6400
Zotac GTX 960 2GB
16GB RAM 1600mhz
1TB toshiba Hard drive

Thank you in advance

Mar 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the PSU and it's age? Make and model of your motherboard?

Sorry about that.

Corsair vs450 Power supply

Asus H110m-D D3 motherboard

I did buy the PC second hand about 3 years ago so other than that im not too sure but going off the GTX 960 release date of 2015 id say it could be 5-6 years old asuming the previous owner didnt upgrade anything.

Last edited: