Computer randomly freezing during games .

Cryp20

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
My PC freezes sometimes when i'm playing games or have a video open in fullscreen. For example when im playing a game, the game will freeze but i may still hear the sounds. I can then minimize the game but can't click anything on my desktop. The cursor will still be in the style of which ever game i was playing. I can open task manager but can't click it. The only way i could figure out to get out of it was to press the windows button and log off my profile and sign in again, which works.

The freezing is seemingly random. Sometimes it wont happen all day and other times it will happen repeatedly one after the other. I thought maybe my processor was overheating because the fan was quite loud, so i took the side of the pc off and it cooled right down, although it wasn't that hot to begin with.

It also happens sometimes when i have a video opened in fullscreen. For example a youtube video, usually more then 5 mins. It will freeze and the sound may continue, so i alt tab and open task manager but chrome is not on the program list but is on the processes list. I close all the processes and start it up again.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this, it's driving me crazy.

G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900 1866MHz
MSI Radeon R9 285 TwinFrozr IV GAMING OC 2GB GDDR5
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 4690 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
XFX XTR Series (550W) Easy Rail Plus Power Supply Unit with Full Modular Cables (80 Plus Gold)

Solution
Trying doing a clean installation of the graphic drivers: uninstall them, then boot into safe mode and use a driver clean, then boot again in normal mode and install the latest Catalyst drivers. Afterwards carefully monitor your videocard temps.

jonespwns

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Are you sure you have your drivers updated? If it's happening during games and videos, it makes it look like it's dealing with rendering stuff.

Cryp20

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
My graphics drivers are updated through catalyst control center, i checked them a few days ago and they were up to date. I did my motherboard drivers with the disk came with it when i built the computer a few months ago.

SonSon1

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Trying doing a clean installation of the graphic drivers: uninstall them, then boot into safe mode and use a driver clean, then boot again in normal mode and install the latest Catalyst drivers. Afterwards carefully monitor your videocard temps.

Solution