Computer randomly freezing - No BSOD

G

Unfortunately this issue is still persisting with my computer after about three weeks of it not occurring I assumed it had gone. However, just like Coca-Cola it will always be around. Anyways, I'll delve into the issue;

My computer freezes. Outright freezes. There is no BSOD, just a plain regular freeze with everything I was doing frozen on the screen taunting me like a reflection of my inner- ...It just freezes. Now, I have done the following to identify the problem:

1) Updated all of my drivers
2) Ensured my bios is fully updated
3) Reseated my RAM, checking for dust in the slots whilst doing so
4) Run Windows memory diagnostics tool (No issues found)
5) Stopped useless services on my computer (Nvidia HD audio and Nvidia streaming service)
6) Set Skype to low priority via task manager when using it (At the advice from another user)
7) Read the bible for answers (Nothing on computers)

It should be noted that I DO however receive an error upon the system freezing in event viewer:
gYEA179.png

However, this error is hardly specific and cannot really provide me with too much information on what is really causing this issue, now can it?

Additional info: The freezes have most frequently been when I'm playing a game, exiting a game and when the system is under a GPU temperature of about 60°C. It has happened randomly when simply browsing the internet but this was only on a single occurrence in comparison to the majority happening under the previously stated conditions.

Specs

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB Corsair Vengeance)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560
Memory: WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive
CPU: Intel i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

I will be running Memtest tonight for 7 passes in order to help me identify the issue but I'm honestly thinking that heat is the issue. When my system froze last night I opened it up, feeling the CPU heatsink and the copper heatsinks on my GPU and they both felt very hot to the touch. Enough to cause slight pain. However, this confuses me as my GPU's manufacturer states that it can endure 99°C at maximum when the GPU only ever gets to around 55-65°C.

I deduced that this couldn't be the CPU overheating as my BIOS would shut down the system to prevent damage. Both CPU and GPU temperatures are monitored at all times via Coretemp and GPU Temp. To lend credibility to my theory of heat being the cause, I should also mention that my room can get very hot and has poor ventilation.

Tomorrow I will post back with the findings of Memtest, but I this is really starting to rustle my jimmies.

Thank you for reading.

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Some times the reading of temps might not be accurate, but the problem might not come for high temps.

Try to use your computer with side panels out, to check if there is an air flow problem, if temps decrease, you should probably buy some fans or a better case, and make sure you don't have fans blowing hot air in the direction of the GPU, from CPU or from PSU.

Check temps directly at bios, just after a freeze.

It might also be a corrupt files problem>

try to open cmd with administrator's privilege and type: sfc /scannow

If you have any corrupt files that windows cannot fix, you can try to use "sfcfix": http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html

G

No violations were found and the cases temperature is the same regardless of the panel being on or off.

google on how to do a keyboard initiated memory dump, make the registry setting. set your memory dump type to kernel memory dump.
run veryfier.exe and set it to do deadlock detection and any others you might want to try. here is info: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/65331-using-driver-verifier-identify-issues-drivers.html

then reboot and trigger a memory dump via keyboard, rename the memory dump to good.dmp so we know there was no problem.
Now run your machine as you normally would and the next time it locks up, use the keyboard to trigger a memory dump.
Then put both memory dumps on a server and post a link.