Question Computer randomly freezing

Apr 7, 2020
Okay, so I once had this problem a while back, and I recently noticed that it has returned. It's frustrating.

At the most random times, my whole entire PC will just freeze completely without warning. It must have been something I did when I dusted it out a few days ago. In the process of wiping out all the dust from my PC, I decided to install two hard drives that I had sitting around because I needed some extra storage space for games. One of those hard drives, I had ripped from a portable hard drive (WD Passport) a few years ago, and the other was just a Hitachi drive that I had used before without any issues. I also installed another 8GB ram stick to the existing 8GB for a total of 16. The max ram for my MB is 32GB, so I don't think that's where the problem lies. And to further solidify that the ram isn't the problem, I removed the extra stick and it still freezes at the most inopportune times.

This random freezing doesn't necessarily happen when my computer is under a heavy load, which is what confuses me. It will just all of a sudden freeze the video and audio and I have to manually force shut it down. So far, I haven't received any BSODs, so I don't think there is a driver problem, but there could be one... what do I know?

In the past, I had done some troubleshooting to figure out what the problem was, but I never came to a clear conclusion. I will list my specs below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Custom Build:

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z​
CPU: AMD fx-9590 8-core @ 4.7 GHz (high tdp so I have an AIO with a 360mm rad to keep it cool)​
GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 960 2GB XLR8 Elite OC​
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz​
HDD: 1TB WD Blue, 320GB Hitachi, and 500GB WD Caviar Green​
SSD (boot): 500GB Samsung 850 EVO​
PSU: 850W Kingwin ABT-850MM​

I'm not sure what all I should include in this post, so if you have any questions, I will gladly answer them.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS