Question Computer randomly keeps shutting off and I think it's my CPU overheating

Jun 9, 2022
This has been happening for over a year now. What happens is I'll be playing a game and randomly my pc just shuts down and immediately restarts. Whenever this happens, my motherboard light turns orange and it goes to the "press delete of f2 to enter BIOS" screen and my computer starts up like nothing happened. I originally thought this was a power supply issue as I used to have a 550W psu with an RTX 2070 super, but now I upgraded to an 850W and the problem still happens. I'm starting to think it's my CPU overheating because whenever I run core temp after my computer starts up again, my CPU is around 85 degrees, which doesn't seem very good. I'm using the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler that came with my Ryzen 7 3700x and it's always super loud even when I'm not doing anything. My CPU is at 75 just writing this and all I have running in the background is a Call of Duty loading screen. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need a new cooler? I have also tried messing with the CPU fan modes in the BIOS and nothing works.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
This has been happening for over a year now. What happens is I'll be playing a game and randomly my pc just shuts down and immediately restarts. Whenever this happens, my motherboard light turns orange and it goes to the "press delete of f2 to enter BIOS" screen and my computer starts up like nothing happened. I originally thought this was a power supply issue as I used to have a 550W psu with an RTX 2070 super, but now I upgraded to an 850W and the problem still happens. I'm starting to think it's my CPU overheating because whenever I run core temp after my computer starts up again, my CPU is around 85 degrees, which doesn't seem very good. I'm using the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler that came with my Ryzen 7 3700x and it's always super loud even when I'm not doing anything. My CPU is at 75 just writing this and all I have running in the background is a Call of Duty loading screen. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need a new cooler? I have also tried messing with the CPU fan modes in the BIOS and nothing works.
Sounds like bad mounting pressure or thermal paste. Remove the cooler cautiously, be sure the thermal paste is good, clean it up, reapply, and then surely remount the cooler.

85C is pretty warm but it's not unsafe and probably pretty typical for a 3700X with the stock cooler. Running that hot definitely wouldn't be the cause of your computer shutting down since it won't do that until temperature gets up to around 110C. And yes, a new cooler will help because it's like overclocking it for a Ryzen to run cooler-- not to mention being a lot quieter.

But if it's another air cooler be sure to also look to your case ventilation. That's because that RTX2070 Super can be like a furnace blowing it's hot air right into the CPU's air cooler and making it impossible to do it's job very well.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS