Question Computer randomly restarting in games

Jan 18, 2020
Hi, I've had this problem for close to a year now. My computer randomly restarts in games, and by restarts I mean it shuts off just as if the power went off and then restarts itself after 2 or so seconds. This problem first occurred June 2019 right after I moved my PC (with bus lol) to a new house.

The timing is completely random. I played PUBG 7 hours in a row for 2 days and the third day it turned off 1 min into the menu screen? It's happened on a lot of games, even a game called Minion Masters (same thing with PUBG, played fine for 2 days, third day it turns off 30 mins in) that really shouldn't stress it, but it hasn't turned off in WoW even though it stresses my GPU to 80 degrees.

Specs:
i7 6700
MSI GTX 970
16 GB DDR4
ASUS Z170-A (haven't updated bios since i bought my PC in 2015)
1 SSD, 1 HDD

Something that may point to the problem is that in May 2019 (1 month before it first occurred) I had some drops of orange juice fall on to the top of my PC, and as it has holes for cooling, some of them dropped on the motherboard (the only ones I found were on the plastic white guard on the top left), but I think that this would cause a much larger problem, if it caused any.

My CPU rarely goes above 59, even in very demanding games and benchmarks, but my GPU peaks 81 (i think that's the limit?) even in Minion Masters (?). I ran Prime95 torture test for almost an hour and had no shutdowns, I gave my PC to a tech shop, they updated drivers, repasted my CPU (said they couldn't repaste the GPU?), run benchmarks and it wouldn't turn off.

I sent my PSU back for warranty and the guy said he tested it for a week and it wouldn't turn off, but that's sketchy as the restarts are completely random.

I now got a PSU (450W) from a friend to test it out on my System and see if that's a problem, but I'm first trying to get my PC consistently shut down to figure out the issue. I played the games it used to turn off and I can't get it to turn off, I ran FurMark, Heaven for 5 passes and I can't get it to turn off.

I've officially ran out of ideas and need help.

Edit: Also, it's not the power outlet, I'm now back at my original house. Also Event Viewer critical error id is Kernel Power 41

TideMozer

Reputable
Jan 18, 2020
this problem may be because of the load of services or programs that working in background or because of services that running at the same time playing , just go to start menu and write services and try to stop unnecessary services and I recommend you to stop and disable windows updates and you can check it from task manger , also check if dx(last version ) , .net framwork and vc++ and feed me back

Jan 21, 2020
Hi there, from what I understand/see in this scenario is the following:

A faulty Power Supply would not be the issue. But a Power Supply that does not provide enough power could be the issue.

As you undertale these resource demanding games, your power consumption goes up. I your power supply cannot supply the power required, it could result in a reboot.

Tip: Calculate the required Wattage from all your components, including drives, and purchase a power supply at least twice the required wattage. This will make it not only last longer, but allow more drive or system upgrades for the future.

Goodluck!

Jan 18, 2020
Hi there, from what I understand/see in this scenario is the following:

A faulty Power Supply would not be the issue. But a Power Supply that does not provide enough power could be the issue.

As you undertale these resource demanding games, your power consumption goes up. I your power supply cannot supply the power required, it could result in a reboot.

Tip: Calculate the required Wattage from all your components, including drives, and purchase a power supply at least twice the required wattage. This will make it not only last longer, but allow more drive or system upgrades for the future.

Goodluck!

I have a 650W PSU and my PC doesn't need above 300 apparently. I just logged with HWInfo till my PC turned off, would you be interested in me sharing the results? Also a friend gave me a 450W PSU, would there be any hard in plugging that in and testing it out?

Jan 18, 2020
Still looking for help, happened again and I have the logs, voltages didn't fall as far as I can see.
This is from the event viewer:
81VfFiN.png

What power supply do you have? Usually when a PC is shutting off during games like that, it's due to temperature or power. I remember having a power supply years ago back when power supplies were top mounted. If I did not mount a case fan pulling air out under the power supply, my system would power off.

Is there enough area for the computer to pull in cool air? Like you don't have it on carpet with a bottom mount power supply right?

Jan 18, 2020
What power supply do you have? Usually when a PC is shutting off during games like that, it's due to temperature or power. I remember having a power supply years ago back when power supplies were top mounted. If I did not mount a case fan pulling air out under the power supply, my system would power off.

Is there enough area for the computer to pull in cool air? Like you don't have it on carpet with a bottom mount power supply right?

I have a CM G650M, it didn't have any problems for the first 2 years of owning the PC and I sent it back for warranty check the first time the problem occurred and the guy said he couldn't make it turn off.

I don't think it's temperatures, I tested the PC in 2 different houses. I got the logs of when the PC turned off if you're interested in taking a look (HW Info).

Somebody suggested me to update my BIOS but I have no idea to do that and I am scared as I can brick my mobo.

Jan 18, 2020
If you are getting the proper bios from your manufacturer, just be sure to follow instructions as they say. The main thing is the chance of a power outage during the flash. But if you have a UPS, then it should be ok theoretically during a power surge.

I burned-in my GPU using FurMark, and it didn't turn off, but I launched ArmA 3 yesterday (I was playing it fine for a couple of days now) and it turned off 1 min in in the menu screen. This is not making any sense....

Jan 18, 2020
Here's a test. Take the side of your PC case off and try. Maybe point a desk fan info the PC and try it for a while. If it stops shutting down then you will know.

I tried another PSU, this time it turned off and when rebooting it showed ASUS Anti Surge... I'm confused, is both the MOBO and the PSU broken?

Haven't used a lot of Asus boards. I usually have gone towards gigabyte and have owned a couple of ASRock boards. Found this thread that may give more insight.

Jan 18, 2020
Haven't used a lot of Asus boards. I usually have gone towards gigabyte and have owned a couple of ASRock boards. Found this thread that may give more insight.

My current CM G650M just reboots without asus anti surge. A random Force 650Watt reboots with asus anti surge... Does that mean my PSU is broken? Should I go ahead and order a new mobo to try it out?