Question Computer randomly restarting under stress/gaming.

Jul 24, 2022
My pc used to restart all the time and I got a new psu and that fixed the issue. But recently I upgraded to a 3070 ti and now its starting to happen again every once in a while. Noticed it happens frequently playing more demanding games like battlefield V and COD. I only have a 120mm aio cooler for my cpu so thinking it could possibly be my cpu overheating but I don't know much about it.

Specs:
i7-8700k, not overclocked since when i try to it restarts very often.
16 gb 3600 mhz ram
ASUS TUF 3070 ti
corsair rm850x PSU

Jul 24, 2022
monitor your CPU temperature with an OSD like MSI Afterburner + RTSS.

how is your system cooling setup;
case
case fans, their placement, and their orientation
AIO placement and fan orientation
ambient room temperature
etc..?
not sure what the case is but its pretty standard
3 front 120 mm fans taking air in, 2 top 120mm fans taking out air, and aio in rear looks like it has fans on both sides doing opposite things. I ordered an arctic liquid freezer 360 mm aio and im gonna put it top mounted but idk which way to put the fans.

I ordered an arctic liquid freezer 360 mm aio and im gonna put it top mounted but idk which way to put the fans.
if located in the top make sure you have adequate ventilation;
a fully exposed/vented ceiling so all fans can push through with no obstruction.

in this scenario you would want the fans pushing out through the radiator.
should be the default layout of the 360mm cooler.

you may also want to replace the default 120mm with something with more air flow.
if space for larger fans, maybe 140mm.
you want to keep a slightly positive air pressure throughout the case.

My pc used to restart all the time and I got a new psu and that fixed the issue. But recently I upgraded to a 3070 ti and now its starting to happen again every once in a while. Noticed it happens frequently playing more demanding games like battlefield V and COD. I only have a 120mm aio cooler for my cpu so thinking it could possibly be my cpu overheating but I don't know much about it.

Specs:
i7-8700k, not overclocked since when i try to it restarts very often.
16 gb 3600 mhz ram
ASUS TUF 3070 ti
corsair rm850x PSU

Hey there,

Whilst you've replaced the PSU, and it's a really good one too, it could be to do with the RTX. What mobo are you running? Try updating the bios, as some mobo's have issue with RTX3xxx and their transient power spikes. Your particular PSU is well suited for the task, but it's possible the power spikes are tripping the OCP on your PSU. Which is possibly why it restarts.

Try limiting the FPS in game to 144fps/hz or whatever. Or even lower at 120hz. See if that makes a difference.

Often the transient power spikes occur when you hit really high FPS in a game. and the GPU loads switches to max Do you by chance still have the old GPU. If so, stick it back in and see if you have restarts.

Also, when you OC the CPU and it seems to happen more frequently, point to the PSU too.

Jul 24, 2022
Hey there,

Whilst you've replaced the PSU, and it's a really good one too, it could be to do with the RTX. What mobo are you running? Try updating the bios, as some mobo's have issue with RTX3xxx and their transient power spikes. Your particular PSU is well suited for the task, but it's possible the power spikes are tripping the OCP on your PSU. Which is possibly why it restarts.

Try limiting the FPS in game to 144fps/hz or whatever. Or even lower at 120hz. See if that makes a difference.

Often the transient power spikes occur when you hit really high FPS in a game. and the GPU loads switches to max Do you by chance still have the old GPU. If so, stick it back in and see if you have restarts.

Also, when you OC the CPU and it seems to happen more frequently, point to the PSU too.
I’ve got a z370-p mobo, I’ll try and update it and see how that does.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead