[SOLVED] Computer randomly restarting whilst playing games, unknown cause.

Oct 26, 2021
I have my computer, speakers w/woofer, monitors, and router all plugged into a single power strip. When I'm playing a game such as Apex or BF5, my computer will randomly do a restart. No windows "Restarting" screen. The screen will go black. This just happened a few minutes ago and my PC was still running when it happened, but a couple of days ago it did the same thing but the whole pc shut off as if someone pressed the power button on my psu. I hear a light little click and I can't tell if it was from the computer itself or if it came from the power strip. This only recently started happening since I upgraded from a Vega 56 to a 3070. My CPU has been running hotter than usual, rising up to around 80c whilst gaming and ~60c when surfing the internet. Someone on r/buildapc had suggested that the issue might be with my power supply being that it is a Thermaltake Smart 700w. I've had it for ~2 years. I'm unsure of the issue. I want to explain and answer any and all questions ofc.

Specs:
r5 3600
ASROCK b450 hdv r4.0
ddr4 16g 8x2
Thermaltake Smart 700w

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, it's possible it's PSU related. Tell tale sign is the issues have started since you switched GPU. Some PSU's have problems with RTX cards, and the transient power spikes from how fast the GPU's switch up their load requirements.

Do you still have the Vega? Can you pop it back in and run for a few days to see if the problem persists. Have you a spare PSu you could use, or maybe borrow from a friend? Otherwise another option would be to bring your pc to a local repair store, and get them to swap out both PSU and GPU to diagnose. Should only cost about £€$20 or so.
Hey there,

Yes, it's possible it's PSU related. Tell tale sign is the issues have started since you switched GPU. Some PSU's have problems with RTX cards, and the transient power spikes from how fast the GPU's switch up their load requirements.

Do you still have the Vega? Can you pop it back in and run for a few days to see if the problem persists. Have you a spare PSu you could use, or maybe borrow from a friend? Otherwise another option would be to bring your pc to a local repair store, and get them to swap out both PSU and GPU to diagnose. Should only cost about £€$20 or so.

Solution
Oct 26, 2021

I did check Event Viewer. I was getting a Kernel Power 41, if that was any insight. I don't have a spare GPU or PSU. I will consider going down to the PC shop.