Question Computer randomly restarts and I'm running out of ideas on how to fix ?

Apr 4, 2023
System specs:
MOBA: MSI Z690 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
CPU: i9-12900KS
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series VisionTek
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite DDR4-4600 16GBx2
NIC: 10Gb SFP+ PCI-E Network Card NIC
Storage1: 2TB Samsung 980 Pro (Windows 11)
Storage2: 2TB Samsung 980 Pro (Ubuntu 20.04)
Storage3: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro
Storage4: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro

Problem:
My system randomly restarts, regardless of OS, processes running, or system load. Time interval between restarts can be anywhere from 20min to 36hrs.

Information:
Nothing in the system logs (both Windows and Ubuntu) show that any error occurs prior to the random restart. I suspect that the error is either on the BIOS/hardware level.
I spent a lot of time checking system temps and I have them all under control.
I have no access to BIOS event log.
I have ran a memory check. It went through 17 runs with zero errors found.
I have swapped the PSU from a 800W to 1600W. This changed nothing.
I unplugged the case's reset pins from the motherboard.
I occasionally get an event in the Windows event log saying: "The speed of processor XX in group X is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."
I have checked the power to the wall, this is also fine. No other devices on the circuit shut down.

Next checks:
Update BIOS (if there is an update)
I am currently logging temps to see if there are random spikes from a bad thermal sensor. I doubt I will catch a spike if there is one since the best sample rate I have is 1Hz.
If these fail, I am going to deactivate all thermal safety parameters in the BIOS, and see if that fixes it. Don't worry, I really have cooling on lock down (one of the case panels is currently a box fan, and I have a very expensive water cooler on the CPU).

Ultimately, I am running our of ideas, and need some suggestions.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have swapped the PSU from a 800W to 1600W. This changed nothing.
Make and models of the units? If they're an used unit, please add the age of the units.

CPU: i9-12900KS
How are you cooling that processor?
Don't worry, I really have cooling on lock down (one of the case panels is currently a box fan, and I have a very expensive water cooler on the CPU).
Please elaborate on your expensive cooling solution.

MOBO: MSI Z690 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Storage1: 2TB Samsung 980 Pro (Windows 11)
Storage2: 2TB Samsung 980 Pro (Ubuntu 20.04)
Storage3: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro
Storage4: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro

Did you run Samsung's Magician App to see if they're pending any firmware updates?