[SOLVED] Computer randomly restarts, changed psu, fresh windows install, drivers up to date

Aug 22, 2021
So my computer has been randomly restarting, usually while playing games. I get no BSOD, just a black screen, the LEDs on my peripherals turn off, fans stop spinning and then my computer boots back up.

In event viewer I just see an unexpected system shutdown and a kernel power error 41. I tried swapping to a new psu as my old one needed swapping anyways but this made no difference. Tried running furmark for an hour and can't seem to cause a crash - done the same with prime95..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I spend more time and money on this issue. If you need any more information just ask.

May also be worth mentioning that I upgraded my motherboard, processor and RAM 4 months ago but have only come across this issue in the last month and a half.
specs

Cpu - ryzen 5 3600
Mobo - B450M-DS3H AMD B450 (SOCKET AM4) DDR4 MICRO-ATX
Ram - 16gb 2400mhz 4 x 4 GB
PSU - Corsair CX750 M
GPU - Gigabyte Gtx 960 4GB

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
When you upgraded the system did you reinstall windows at that time and if so how did you do it
No when I upgraded the system I didn’t bother with a clean install, only after I encountered this issue. I did this through windows recovery environment and selected “reset this pc” as I wanted to try keep my files.

D

Deleted member 14196

No when I upgraded the system I didn’t bother with a clean install, only after I encountered this issue. I did this through windows recovery environment and selected “reset this pc” as I wanted to try keep my files.
That’s the wrong move reset is absolutely useless you are going to have to format and reinstall for these problems to go away. This happened because you upgraded your motherboard and processor and ram and did not install windows clean and by clean I mean deleting all the partitions on the windows drive and installing windows fresh

So back up your data now and reinstall windows and he won’t have any problems

Reactions: jackkelly
Aug 22, 2021
That’s the wrong move reset is absolutely useless you are going to have to format and reinstall for these problems to go away. This happened because you upgraded your motherboard and processor and ram and did not install windows clean and by clean I mean deleting all the partitions on the windows drive and installing windows fresh

I'll get on that today and report back, thanks for your help!

Aug 22, 2021

My usb drive wasn’t big enough so I used my old windows 8.1 disc to reinstall which went fine, tried to upgrade to windows 10 and I just get “windows installation failed” every time now.. not sure if it’s anything related to my original issue or me just being an imbecile.

TRENDING THREADS