Computer randomly restarts while in-game?

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Today I was playing dirty bomb and my computer randomly restarted without error or warning... ignoring it I tried playing again. This time alt-tabbing out of game it froze for what seemed like milliseconds then restarted itself once again. I went in and checked my components for overheating but that didn't seem to be a problem as it was barely reaching over 50°C. I am unsure what the problem is and could use some insight on it. Thanks to everyone who can help!

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Processor: AMD FX - 8320
Graghics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 EVGA 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Edition
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: Coursair CX 4300W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular ATX POwer Supply
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+

I don't have the model numbers for reference but that's about it.

But would a procedural Windows restart result from the PSU? I can see a BSOD or an instant black-out being caused from the PSU, but I don't see a procedural Windows restart resulting from the PSU.

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

I just don't see why this is the first time and it seemed to happen when I alt tabed out of the game? It could have been convenience I guess. Is there any way I could check if thats what the problem is?

bignastyid

Titan
It will shutdown without bsod like if the power cord got pulled and if the bios is set to last known state or to power on after power loss it will turn back on. Once they degrade further it will shutdown and you have too wait a bit before it will turn back on.

I know but he said his computer restarted which to me seems more like a "Windows is restarting" rather than his computer shutting down, so I don't think it's a PSU problem.

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Should I wait for this to make sure? Or would it damage anything if it continues?

Was it a procedural Windows restart, or did the computer just immediately lose power? The former is the better.

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

And the system never stopped all fans cept running and my LED Fans were still bright. My monitors went black and the windows logo appeared again as if I turned it off and on?

Hmm that's not a Windows procedural restart. That seems more like computer lost power then immediately turned back on.

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

So, is there any ideas or does it seem like my PSU? If so its not an expensive fix... Just one I would like to avoid?

I would avoid your current one and go with a higher quality unit (and one with a little more power than 430W). You're looking in the $50-$60 for a quality power supply. Look into the Seasonic M12ii 520W, as well as XFX 550W power supplies. I do think it is a PSU issue based on your description of the issue.

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

I just don't see why it has not happened since. I have been using for a few hours now and no problems. Only seemed to be in game?

ZeGamer

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Okay, thank you guys for the help. I shall now go looking for one that will last longer than a year haha, I guess being like 25 dollars shows. I just saw coursair as a quality brand. Cheaper stuff may opt out of that category.

Corsair doesn't even make the power supplies. Corsair CX is made by Channell Well Technology. See this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Here's the gist of it. You have a 125w CPU, about 140w GPU, one HDD (10w-25w), any fans use 12v (another potentially 20w), and then anything on the motherboard which utilizes 12v. So - your CX430 has a max 12v supply of 325w or so, and you're at (without the MOBO 12v) - at 295-310w on the 12v line. That means you have 20-30w left before you'll overdraw your 12v line.

Kicker is, it wouldn't be a problem if the CX430 was a Tier 1 PSU, but it's in the Tier 4 category which means: Don't use it if you can avoid it. Also, this is assuming that you haven't overclocked anything. If you have, then it's definitely overdrawing your PSU.

I would call it about a 90% chance you have a PSU issue. You can get a Seasonic 520w which is an excellent Tier 1 CPU for about $50-60 from Newegg.com. You can pick up several Tier 2 600w units for about the same price and either will be better than the CX430.

Here's the tier list. Pick from T1 or T2. T3 if you have no choice due to budget. Avoid T4/T5

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

---edit---

BTW, don't short change Corsair. Their higher end PSUs are excellent - they make the AX series which are top of the line, and their redesign of the RM series made some very good changes and improved quality immensely. The lower end still continues to suffer though, so avoid those.