[SOLVED] Computer randomly restarts while playing games, is it a PSU problem?

Amnotgrayson

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Hello friends, I recently upgraded my CPU (9900k) and RAM (Corsair Vengeance 32GB) , and now all of a sudden when I'm playing graphically demanding games or play in 1440p after a few minutes, my computer will randomly restart, without warning. I've been checking my temps, they're not overheating (my CPU maxes in the 50-60s and my GPU barely goes past 80). So I'm stuck on figuring out what the culprit is. My 700W PSU is the oldest thing in my system, as I have been using it for almost 6 years. Could it be my PSU? Or my RAM? Or something else entirely? Any help will be appreciated. Will answer any questions.

Here's my specs:
CPU: i9-9900k (@4.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA (Not OC)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (@3600mhz)
SSD1: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB
SSD2: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
HDD: Seagate 2 TB
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W

Last edited:
Solution
Get a different power supply. No question. One of the worst power supplies ever produced by a major manufacturer. Worse even, by a long shot, than the old Corsair CX 600 units. The fact that it's ALSO quite old, especially for the poor initial quality of those units, makes it that much more likely.

See the following link, which was my FIRST post here at Tom's, like six or seven years ago.

Then check this thread.

And if you're still in doubt, simply Google Thermaltake TR2 problems and you'll get plenty of threads to look at.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is PSU.

6 years - long time especially if nothing changes. However, with the upgrades the PSU may no longer be able to meet peak power demands of the system.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Varying and increasing numbers of error codes, warnings, and even information events make the PSU quite suspect.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can do some testing on the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of spec will make the PSU even more suspect.

Are you able to borrow and swap in another known working 700 watt PSU?

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Get a different power supply. No question. One of the worst power supplies ever produced by a major manufacturer. Worse even, by a long shot, than the old Corsair CX 600 units. The fact that it's ALSO quite old, especially for the poor initial quality of those units, makes it that much more likely.

See the following link, which was my FIRST post here at Tom's, like six or seven years ago.

Then check this thread.

And if you're still in doubt, simply Google Thermaltake TR2 problems and you'll get plenty of threads to look at.

Solution