Question Computer randomly restarts without any notice

hubabuba100

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Hi!

I have a Fujitsu M470-2 Motherboard with its factory PSU (A 1000W one), two Xeon X5660 CPU's, 24GB of ECC DDR3 RAM and a RX570. For the last two months, my computer started to shut off randomly like there was a blackout and restarted without any error messages in the bios. I looked at the Windows logs but they said that the computer was shut down incorrectly but not by the system.

The CPU's idles around 30 Celsius, and the GPU is around 40 Celsius.

The problem occurs randomly but there are some scenarios which always shuts down the system, For example: If I run Edge with a YouTube video, Discord and the Minecraft launcher and I start Minecraft the system immediately crashes and restarts. I can do a stress test on the RAM, GPU and the CPU's at the same time but it will not crash.
What can cause the problem?

Thanks in advance!

PS.: Sorry for the bad English!

Lutfij

Titan
If any system reboots when not subjected to load, it can either be that the power settings in your OS are not communicating with the hardware or your PSU is failing. In your case, I'd lean towards a faulty PSU...maybe change it out for another unit and see if the issue persists.

I'd inspect the motherboard to see if there are any bulging capacitors. OS version?

hubabuba100

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
If any system reboots when not subjected to load, it can either be that the power settings in your OS are not communicating with the hardware or your PSU is failing. In your case, I'd lean towards a faulty PSU...maybe change it out for another unit and see if the issue persists.

I'd inspect the motherboard to see if there are any bulging capacitors. OS version?

Thanks for the reply!

I cannot see any bulging caps on the motherboard or on any other component of the build.
Unfortunately, this motherboard requires a PSU with a special connector (and I don't have a second PSU with two CPU power cables) So I cannot check if the power supply is the culprit.

The OS is Windows 10 Pro (1909).

hubabuba100

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
So there is an update...

I've downloaded a program called OCCT. There is a option to see the current power consumption of the CPU's and I can also create a load on the PSU with this tool. I've noticed something weird: While in idle, the CPU power consumption was jumping between 17 Watts and 110 Watts (the rated TDP of the CPU). If I start a power stress tool, the PSU makes a weird clicking noise like a relay, but the system still runs afterwards. Is this software misreports the package power or if not, what can cause this behavior?