Computer randomly restarts

TrackJunkie

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
My computer seems to randomly reset whenever I am playing a game. Specifically it has happened while I have been playing League of Legends, Elder Scrolls V, and as of today Mass Effect 2. I have installed programs to monitor CPU and GPU processor temperatures and none of the processors are over heating. In fact, just to make sure I installed a larger CPU cooler. I also have replaced my hard drive and cleaned out my case (of dust). The restart, 9 out of 10 times, is a hard restart where it just turns off and restarts. 1 out of 10 times is from a BSOD.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Duo E8500 @ 3.17ghz
RAM: 8gb (two 4gb sticks)
Gfx: NVIDIA GTX 560
Mb: Gigabyte EP43T-USB3

I REALLY need someone to help me figure this out. It's so frustrating and it has become so bad I can't even play Mass Effect 2 which should be a breeze for my computer to run (I would think). Thank you in advance!

-Bill

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
when it restarts, could you provide info windows event log viewer?

step1 ; run device manager and see if there are any errors.

step2 ; run sfc /scannow to check windows integrity.

step3 ; please run mdsched.exe to see if ram is the culprit.

step4 ; run cmd and then type chkdsk /f

step5 ; run cmd and then type verifier then from graphical user interface >>> Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer.

download this tool to analyze BSOD http://www.resplendence.com/downloads download free edition of whocrashed the output this program gives you should be enough to solve your problem.

please answer to this topic I'm sure this issue will be resolved.

step6 ; download latest windows updates and drivers. I will help finding the links if you send me info which hardware you use.

Try reseating all cables in your computer, also which type of PSU do you have?

step7; boot into safe mode F8 and scan with AV.

TrackJunkie

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
PatrickIT, I REALLY appreciate all the advice. I will attempt to go through every step and I will post back what happens.

I don't remember what PSU I have. I believe it's a 500w but I'm not positive. I'll double check and post up when I find out.

TrackJunkie

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
PatrickIT,

I ran the test in your step 3 and when I came back my computer had ran the test an restarted and I had a window on my desktop saying that "Your computer has a memory problem." Does this automatically mean my RAM is bad? Should I bother going through all the other steps you posted?

TrackJunkie

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I also downloaded the program WhoCrashed and ran it. This is what it had to say about my dump files:

On Mon 12/1/2014 3:29:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\113014-18033-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A008BEC270, 0xFFFFF8A008BEC4D0, 0x526010A)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 12/1/2014 3:29:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!g_TdrForceTimeout+0x8C2B)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A008BEC270, 0xFFFFF8A008BEC4D0, 0x526010A)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 11/30/2014 9:58:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\113014-12963-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFA80079E, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002D45C6F)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 11/2/2014 3:14:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110114-11762-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF68000054308, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002CC355B)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Thu 10/23/2014 2:43:31 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102214-12152-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (0xFFFFF960002C008E)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF900829D7A60, 0x1, 0xFFFFF960002C008E, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 9/26/2014 6:11:33 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092614-12838-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F087C33)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x3B, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800F087C33)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.75
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.75
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.75 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Tue 9/16/2014 3:46:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091514-13369-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x867C, 0x2, 0x7DFB)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.

On Thu 6/26/2014 3:50:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062614-12402-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B90)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Sat 5/31/2014 2:16:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\053014-13322-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x403, 0xFFFFF680001B9550, 0x32C00001BCF96867, 0xFFFFF6FC806175EA)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Thu 5/15/2014 4:12:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051514-13150-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x4211)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF880080DC4B8, 0xFFFFF880080DBD10, 0xFFFFF880012A0B0A)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.

This was its conclusion:

10 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.75 , NVIDIA Corporation)

TrackJunkie

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
PatrickIT,

Is there any way that this is actually a PSU issue? I have 28 events under Event Viewer with Event ID 41 (63). I have read that it is usually caused by a PSU. My PSU, it turns out, is a Diablotek PHD650WATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822004) which looks to be not very good for gaming.

Also, I tested each RAM stick individually while playing Mass Effect 2 and each time (once with each stick) my computer restarted the same way, with event 41, as described above.

Any thoughts?

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
That PSU unit doesn't look any good, try to replace with a good unit for example, Antec high current.

Do you notice any flickering ??? this does usually indicate PSU problem .

Check newegg comments about the PSU unit of yours exploding, catching fire :kikou: