Computer randomly restarts

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
My computer has been randomly restarting with no warning for 3 years now. The “restart”, is a instant-off, 3 seconds of nothing, then the computer turns on as if its power button just go pushed. I have done a number of things to try and solve this problem which I get into in a bit. First off here are my current system specs. I will also list what i have changed since during the course of this issue.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Started on windows 7 pro 64 bit changed to windows 10, 1 year ago
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 35 °C ------- Has not changed
Haswell 22nm Technology
Cooler
Corsair H80i( sent in for repairs ) -------- now Cooler Master EVO 212
RAM
24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20) ------- Same ram, added more 1 year ago
Motherboard
ASUSTeK MAXIMUS VII GENE (SOCKET 1150) 25 °C ---- has not changed
Graphics
HP 2711 (1920x1080@60Hz)
S230HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (Gigabyte) 30 °C ------ used to be a Radeon 7850 2GB
Storage
4657GB TOSHIBA HDWE150 (SATA) 31 °C ----- Changed from 3TB
4657GB TOSHIBA HDWE150 (SATA) 31 °C ----- Changed from 3TB
476GB Crucial_CT512MX100SSD1 (SSD) 25 °C ----- was a 256GB
Optical Drives
NA
Audio
Logitech G930 Gaming Headset -------- No Change
Keyboard
Logitech G15 ---------- No Change
Mouse
LogitechG502 -------- Changed from a G5 laser
Web Cam
Logitech C920 --------- bought 2 years ago
Battery Backup: APC - Back-UPS 1500 ------------- no change

Power Supply- 750w Thermal take (12 years old ) -- 500w EVGA now to a 750w Gold EVGA
( all of these power supply’s still work )

Now originally I built this computer back in 2015. Didn’t have the random restarts until about 6-7 months after being built. I swapped out the power supply when all this started happening like 2 years ago…. And low and behold the problems went away for like 6 months…. Then the random restarts happened again.
These changes were done on windows 7 pro 64 bit at the time
-Swapped the power supply 750 to 500 ( problems went away for 6 months then returned )
-Swapped the SSD from 250-500, Problem still persisted.
-Swapped out old 3tb raid to new 5 tb raid, Problem still persisted.
-Changed both monitors from old ones, Problem still persisted.
-Added web cam, Problem still persisted.
-Checked event viewer kernel 41 power event ( every time ) No blue screen
-Ran mem test ( passed )
-Reinstalled windows 7 Problem went away for like 2 weeks then showed back up

-5 more months passed then I switched to clean install of windows 10 pro 64bit no problems for 3 months. Then the problem came back, except this time it damaged the OS so I had to reinstall again.
-Updated BIOS to latest Version Version 3003 2015/11/23 ( at the time of writing this I noticed there is a newer 2018 version ) I will try this after I’m done posting this.
-Reinstalled windows 10 for the 2nd time, Setup raid in windows again for the 4th time. Didn’t have any issues for about 5 months. Then it came back
-Swapped out mouse, problem still persisted
-Swapped out the video card to a 950, problem still persisted
-Swapped out the power supply again for a 750 Gold EVGA, problem still persisted.
-Tried plugging in directly to wall, bypass battery backup, problem still persisted
-Swapped out monitors, problem still persisted

I guess at this point I’m thinking it’s the motherboard…. Which is out of warranty unfortunately. The even logs have kinda changed from time to time as far as the events leading up to when the computer would restart. But they all give me the obvious 41 critical power error. This happens now almost every day at least once if not twice. I feel like other than the ram or ssd, that it’s a motherboard issue.

My question to you guys is- Have you had any success in swapping motherboards that are different brand, and or way cheaper version of the same socket type i.e. replace the mother board i have with a cheap asus 1150 to test and see if it solves the problem. The motherboard i have is like 250-350 used on ebay atm.

Thanks for reading this, let me know what I haven’t thought of. - cheers

I suspect your motherboard, it sounds like issues I've had previously. Some motherboards I've owned previously have had problems with sleep, or coming out of sleep. Also I had one board that worked fine every other time it booted, for instance I turn it on, it attempts to boot then turns off. Hit power again, and it boots fine. Every other time, SSDD.
Weird, but sometimes certain boards are just well, finicky. It certainly appears you've eliminated most other possibilities, its likely the issue will continue until you bite the bullet and replace the mobo.

24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20) ------- Same ram, added more 1 year ago

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you choose to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

It appears the memory is running at a speed less than supported by your CPU.
Core i7-4790K supported memory: DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600
Many people use higher speed memory when overclocking.

I would suggest using a single kit of memory. Your current memory is running at 1066MHz.

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I will go ahead and remove the 8GBS... however its been doing this since day one for over 2 years without that ram. So i will experiment with a new ram kit as well and see what that does.

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Well i replaced all the ram... been 4 days strait now reboot! Never seen ram do that before, especially after passing MEM-TEST, but i guess there is a first time for everything. Thanks for your help.

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Well I thought it was fixed... went like 2 weeks without a random reset/power cycle. It just did a random restart as of 9/11/2018 Im thinking its the motherboard / ram slots. Poop :/

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

you need to get familiarized with the house electric wirings. if you plug a bunch of electronics on to the same wiring circuit, it'll randomly exceed its rated limit and have power delivery instability and worse case would overheat beyond tolerance.

TRENDING THREADS