Computer Randomly Shuts Down After Installing 1080 Ti (PSU Problem?)

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Alright, so I just installed my new 1080 Ti FTW3 from EVGA last night (old GPU was a EVGA 1060 SC2). All was well, until I started to play some games on it. I started up F1 2017, and halfway through a race, my computer just shut down completely, no error message or anything. I did some research and people said it might be a problem with my PSU.

I'm assuming nothing is wrong with my 1080 Ti, since it seemed to run Heaven Benchmark on Ultra at a solid 105 fps. I've ran it through the benchmark a few times, with only 1 shut down. No artifacting or anything like that. Temperatures of both the GPU and CPU are completely fine.

After running Heaven Benchmark, I ran a benchmark on F1 2017, and the problem persisted, pretty much constantly. About a quarter of the way through the benchmark, the computer just shut off. I was monitoring the temperatures, and they all seemed fine.

I have also rolled back to older drivers to see if that was the problem, but it still happened.

I installed Open Hardware Monitor just to check my voltages, and here is what I got (posted below). I don't know exactly how to interpret the numbers, so if anyone could help me out with this problem, that would be great.

I also have no way of testing any of my components in another computer, since I'm in college, I don't have access to many resources.

Component List:
Intel Core i5 4690k (Not overclocked)
Corsair H80i v2
MSI Z97 G45
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (Factory overclock)
16 GB of RAM
1 256 GB SSD
2 HDD @ 7200 RPM
1 Optical Drive
1 strip of LEDs (3 ft-ish?)
Corsair HX 750 (Factory Refurbished, ~4 years old)

10990370b1c7a4bbee4e589f3f190285.png

Solution
a few things can cause shut down. one is the mb vrm over heating or crashing. the gpu itself if it has power issue (google evga cards and vrm cooling and card going up in flames.). the last is power supply going bad. the voltage in the bios you posted are fine. the 12v rail is slightly high. if i was you i would rma the gpu first. if the next gpu does the same thing look at the mb vrm over heating or the power supply shutting down.

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

So in my Bios, it’s showing
3.376 V
5.120 V
12.408 V

But I don’t have the graphics card plugged in right now. Would my PSU drop off if it’s under load under a new graphics card? I doubt a graphics card error just shuts my PC off.

a few things can cause shut down. one is the mb vrm over heating or crashing. the gpu itself if it has power issue (google evga cards and vrm cooling and card going up in flames.). the last is power supply going bad. the voltage in the bios you posted are fine. the 12v rail is slightly high. if i was you i would rma the gpu first. if the next gpu does the same thing look at the mb vrm over heating or the power supply shutting down.

Solution

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

I’ll try that then. Is it possible for the PSU to fail when the load gets too high?

I just got a new power supply from Amazon (EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3). I don’t have enough time to deal with an EVGA RMA right now.

I’ll give an update if the new PSU works.

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I managed to replace the power supply with a new SuperNOVA 750W. Everything has been running perfectly fine for a week. I think my old power supply was dying... Or I might have shorted something out when I was blasting it with canned air and tipped it, so some liquid sprayed into the housing. (The power supply was OFF and unplugged when I was cleaning it btw.) But yeah, I appreciate your help, @Smorizio, got the problem fixed :)