[SOLVED] Computer Randomly Shuts down and restarts itself

Feb 18, 2020
Since a month ago, my computer has been randomly shutting down as if it lost power, but the PSU is still supplying power as the MOBO RGB is still on like a normal shuts down, it then restarts itself and the rest is unpredictable. For a few days after the first occurrence, it never happened again, until yesterday. This seems to happen on any occasion, could happen in BIOS, in Window's login screen, in game (currently only League of Legends), in furmark, in simple java programming, and the situation is worsening as now I can't even log in to my desktop since it just shuts down whenever I hit a key to log in.

CPU and GPU temp are all within 70°C

My build:
MOBO: Strix z390e
CPU: i7-8700k (oc to 5.0Ghz with 1.34v)
GPU: Strix 2070 oc edition
RAM: 2x 8g Trident Z 3000Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM550X (550W)
AIO: Asus RYUO 240
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo x3
Windows 10 with newest patches

So yesterday I was playing league of legends, and after around 20-30 mins of gaming it suddenly shuts down, with no heat issue. It then restarts itself and in the process shuts down again, and it does this loop for around 2 times and just quit auto restarting. I pressed the start button and it says "windows didn't boot up correctly". This also happened when I was doing some simple programming, not resources demanding at all, and it suddenly shuts off and restarts itself.

I tried using furmark to test the GPU and when every I click bench mark, before the test even begins, the computer would shut down... Latter I tried playing Monster Hunter World with ultra graphics for 10 mins and it works just fine...

Currently, it's doing this whole thing again, but after the computer finally boots into the windows login screen and I press enter to type in my password, it would shut down instantly. So now I can't even log in to windows.

Tried the following things:
1. Clean the dust on the AIO and GPU fans etc.

2. Took out the RAM sticks, cleaned, and put it back in.

3. Went into BIOS to restore the CPU into factory clocks, and while in BIOS the computer shuts down again, so I assume the random shutdowns are not caused by Windows 10. It auto restarted afterwards, and booted into BIOS automatically and was on the exact place before the shutdown.

4. Tried unplugging the chassis power-up button and jump-start the computer, still shuts down, so I doubt it's the chasis's power button causing the issue.

5. Tried running Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, and the test result is all pass.

6. I uninstalled the 2070 and switched to integrated graphics, and the system booted up all fine, no shutdowns, able to log in to the desktop, tested with League of Legends, after a while, shuts down again but manage to restart into desktop successfully, but shuts down in desktop with nothing open after a few seconds.

7. Tried anti-virus, nothing really concerning, I doubt it's a software issue since this can happen in BIOS setting.'

8. Tried Windows Memory Diagnostic and both RAM sticks went through with no issue. No shut down happened during the 20-30 minutes-ish test.

Since I removed the graphics card, that means there shouldn't be a lot of power required from PSU to run the computer, thus I think I can the PSU should be working fine...?

I guess this means it's either the MOBO, RAM, CPU, PSU or SSD.

I also noticed sometimes when it restarts, it would say "scanning and repairing (F: )".

Can someone please help, really appreciate it, thank you all beforehand.

And btw don't recommend buying the RYUO or RYUOJIN AIO, that load of premium paid for the ROG brand and the OLED screen ain't worth it, the screen burns in quite quickly for me even with constant animation, (can be replaced under warranty) and just doesn't really display what you want it to most of the time...

Last edited:
Solution
There are obvious a HW problem somewhere.

During the days before the very first occurence, can you remember if anything was changed inside the computer? Has it being moved to another location?

By the description, it seems to be likely that either motherboard or PSU have got defective somehow.
I managed to fix this about an hour ago... Thank you for the time though.

While i was about to return the PSU, I found the cable for the GPU is loose and the 24 pin for the MOBO is a bit loose (that's why I guess the integrated graphics also "failed" but less often).

With all that fixed, now when I play a game, sometimes my top side of the screen would go dark for a split second, happens every like maybe 5-10 mins. Do you think that...

During the days before the very first occurence, can you remember if anything was changed inside the computer? Has it being moved to another location?

By the description, it seems to be likely that either motherboard or PSU have got defective somehow.

Feb 18, 2020

I managed to fix this about an hour ago... Thank you for the time though.

While i was about to return the PSU, I found the cable for the GPU is loose and the 24 pin for the MOBO is a bit loose (that's why I guess the integrated graphics also "failed" but less often).

With all that fixed, now when I play a game, sometimes my top side of the screen would go dark for a split second, happens every like maybe 5-10 mins. Do you think that the restarts and the loose cables somehow broke my GPU? FPS and temp are all fine.

Solution
Feb 18, 2020
Maybe - but you have had many instand shut-downs before, so if you're lucky then resetting software (e.g. reinstall Windows) may solve this.
Ok thank you, I tried a few other games and furmark, seems like it's a specific game problem, nothing to do with the GPU. Thanks god those shut downs didn't brake my computer