[SOLVED] Computer randomly shuts down/restarts

Jan 15, 2019
Hello,
I've seen similar topics all over the boards but none of the solutions that I have seen have worked for me. This will be a fairly long narrative because I've already done a lot of troubleshooting on my own, but I'm running low on ideas.

Background: Built my rig about 1 year ago. No major hardware changes in between other than adding an m.2 about 6 months ago and moving my OS over.
Mobo: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 3000

About 2 weeks ago, my computer began restarting randomly. Sometimes it manages to do a full reboot, and other times it gets "hung up." What I mean by this is the displays (2 monitors) will go black, k/m lights turn off, power button and reset button on top of case are unresponsive, GPU has a built in waterbrick with lights that turn off, however all fans remain on at full speed (or at least, max speed i have allowable at time of reboot), CPU fan and LED remain on, and liquid pump remains on.

Restarts happen at any time. Idle, light load, heavy gaming load, doesn't matter. The timing is random too, however they don't seem to happen more than once every few hours. Maybe 2-4 times per day since it started.

After one of the restarts (possibly the first one I noticed, but I can't say for sure) both of my two SATA HDDs died. My m.2 is fine (yay).
-Possibly irrelevant information insertion - the day prior to the first reboot I installed a new keyboard, drivers, and corsair utility engine. No other hardware/software changes.-
At this point I was thinking PSU. So I bought a new one, installed it, hooked everything up, booted, and noticed my two HDDs still weren't working. Then I tried each of the drives in my wavlink docking station with no response. I also tried each of them with a data transfer cable and nothing. They don't even attempt to spin or anything, they're just bricks. One of them was about 3 months old, the other was on it's last leg anyways. Nothing else seems to have been damaged thankfully.

As of writing this, I am still getting reboots. I have seen 3 today. Here are the steps I have taken so far:
Installed new PSU (from 650w to 850w just in case that was the issue) - No fix
BIOS updated and set to default settings - No fix
Reinstall OS (Win10x64), all updates, update all drivers - No fix
Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic - No issues found
Ran FurMark for 30 minutes - No issues
Ran Prime95 for about 3 hours - Computer restarted but it doesn't appear to have been the CPU's fault

And now you're all caught up. So right now I'm thinking the mobo is shorting out for some reason which shocked and killed my two hard drives. Does that sound plausible?
Also, any other steps I should take before committing to a new mobo? I'm still content with the one I have now so I would be really disappointed if I buy a new one and it doesn't fix anything. At least I was able to return the PSU when it didn't fix things.

Thanks

Solution
I have been having issues with my laptop restarting all by itself randomly, no triggers, nothing. Brand new gaming laptop. It all started after I updated Windows 10 a couple of months ago. I searched everywhere online and it does indeed seem that a lot of other people have had this happen to them after the update.

I tried everything they suggested, everything, expect for 3 things which I decided to leave till the very last.
The 3 last suggestions were to reinstall Windows (reset PC), update BIOS, and see if it's a hardware thing. I left those till the end because they're not as easy and fast to deal with as the rest of the suggestions.

I knew it was a Windows update thing, not hardware, because all this started with that. I decided to...
Feb 14, 2019
I have been having issues with my laptop restarting all by itself randomly, no triggers, nothing. Brand new gaming laptop. It all started after I updated Windows 10 a couple of months ago. I searched everywhere online and it does indeed seem that a lot of other people have had this happen to them after the update.

I tried everything they suggested, everything, expect for 3 things which I decided to leave till the very last.
The 3 last suggestions were to reinstall Windows (reset PC), update BIOS, and see if it's a hardware thing. I left those till the end because they're not as easy and fast to deal with as the rest of the suggestions.

I knew it was a Windows update thing, not hardware, because all this started with that. I decided to reset the PC by reinstalling Windows, (Settings --> Recovery --> Reset This PC), I also made sure to backup my files just in case (although it does keep your personal files, I just didn't want to risk it).... long story short, did this 3 days ago and not a single restart since, :)

Not sure if this could be your thing, but just throwing it out there just in case, :)

Solution