Computer randomly shuts down when playing current gen games.

aldous gaming

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hello, everyone. I've been having a problem lately with my computer. After 45 minutes of playing time, it shuts down whenever I play current games such as Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and NBA 2K14 to say the least (I cannot push the graphics to its limits for the mentioned games, except for AC2, by the way). However, I can still play classic games such as Stronghold Crusader. I'm still a newbie with computer stuff so any help would be appreciated.

System specs are:
AMD A10 5800k
Radeon HD 7660D (though it's integrated)
8GB RAM

I called it up on a local computer repair shop and they think it's a mobo problem, but 2-3 weeks replacement is too long because I need my PC for work as well and I don't think it's the cause. And I don't have a standalone graphics card for my setup either. Appreciate your help, guys!

Solution
Most likely, especially since you say it's a generic, is that you have an overrated PSU-shaped object that can't hack the load. Especially if you have any thought of adding a discrete graphics card, you should replace it. When cheap PSUs croak, they often do so violently, taking other parts with them into the fiery abyss.
On a budget, I'd get a 380W Antec Earthwatts or a 450W Antec VP-450. Either is powerful enough to run any graphics card with a single PCIe power connector.
Your symptoms are consistent with overheating, but I suspect the PSU more than anything because a CPU / APU that is overheating will usually throttle (slow down) rather than shut down. Is this a power-off shutdown, or a crash-to-desktop and/or restart?

aldous gaming

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I couldn't access the PC right now since I'm on mobile. It'll be a couple of hours before I could access it again since I'll be sleeping in a while. As far as I know, it's a pretty generic model of a PSU, substandard. I'll get back to the wattage as soon as I wake up tomorrow.

Most likely, especially since you say it's a generic, is that you have an overrated PSU-shaped object that can't hack the load. Especially if you have any thought of adding a discrete graphics card, you should replace it. When cheap PSUs croak, they often do so violently, taking other parts with them into the fiery abyss.
On a budget, I'd get a 380W Antec Earthwatts or a 450W Antec VP-450. Either is powerful enough to run any graphics card with a single PCIe power connector.

Solution

aldous gaming

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Okay, so I just checked the PSU and it says it's an Electron PSU ATX 600W. Additionally, the motherboard model is a Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2. I'm not really brand savvy with PSU's so I don't know if this brand is generic or something.

HelenDavid, the issue isn't poor performance or game crashes (which your suggestions may well alleviate), but power-off shutdowns. That's almost always the PSU. Yes, that "Electron" sounds generic. It ought to be good for enough wattage to power your system, but then it "ought" to be good for 600W, since that's what's on its label.
A 380W Antec Earthwatts would be sufficient to power your system, including a modest-midrange graphics card later should you choose to add one.

aldous gaming

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Update: I've managed to buy a discrete graphics card, a Sapphire HD6570. Before acquiring the discrete card, AC4: Black Flag runs fine with the on-board graphics and with the discrete card at low to normal settings. After the CrossFire, my PC shuts down at around 3 minutes when playing AC4. With that problem coming up, do you think I could blame it on system overheating?

I couldn't shell out money yet for a new PSU.