[SOLVED] Computer Randomly Shuts Off Under GPU Stress

Dec 13, 2019
Hello all,

I recently purchased an RTX 2080 Super, a big upgrade from my 1070. Ever since I originally purchased it, my computer would randomly shut off and turn back on under any form of stress (from gaming or clock testing). Initially I thought this was a temperature issue, so I thoroughly cleaned out my PC and downloaded CoreTemp and Precision X to consistently check my GPU and CPU temps while they were under stress. Neither temperatures managed to reach 70 degrees, and I capped them both at 84, so temperature obviously wasn't the issue. This leads me to believe that the issue is in fact the PSU, but it has always worked fine until I purchased the new graphics card. I also have 750 watts, so unless the PSU itself is faulty I definitely have plenty of power. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

My system specs:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER
Processor: i7 - 6700k
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
HD: Sandisk x400 1TB SSD
Motherboard: MSI Z170A
PSU: Thermaltake 750 Gold Toughpower Series

Solution
Hello all,

I recently purchased an RTX 2080 Super, a big upgrade from my 1070. Ever since I originally purchased it, my computer would randomly shut off and turn back on under any form of stress (from gaming or clock testing). Initially I thought this was a temperature issue, so I thoroughly cleaned out my PC and downloaded CoreTemp and Precision X to consistently check my GPU and CPU temps while they were under stress. Neither temperatures managed to reach 70 degrees, and I capped them both at 84, so temperature obviously wasn't the issue. This leads me to believe that the issue is in fact the PSU, but it has always worked fine until I purchased the new graphics card. I also have 750 watts, so unless the PSU itself is...
Hello all,

I recently purchased an RTX 2080 Super, a big upgrade from my 1070. Ever since I originally purchased it, my computer would randomly shut off and turn back on under any form of stress (from gaming or clock testing). Initially I thought this was a temperature issue, so I thoroughly cleaned out my PC and downloaded CoreTemp and Precision X to consistently check my GPU and CPU temps while they were under stress. Neither temperatures managed to reach 70 degrees, and I capped them both at 84, so temperature obviously wasn't the issue. This leads me to believe that the issue is in fact the PSU, but it has always worked fine until I purchased the new graphics card. I also have 750 watts, so unless the PSU itself is faulty I definitely have plenty of power. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

My system specs:
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER
Processor: i7 - 6700k
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
HD: Sandisk x400 1TB SSD
Motherboard: MSI Z170A
PSU: Thermaltake 750 Gold Toughpower Series
Frankly, that's not great PSU, if it's 5 year old or older, I would suspect it immediately.

Reactions: Rdslw
Solution
As mentioned STRESS means its power related or HEAT related.
I know that card, its not running that hot unless you OC'd so its power usage.
Try to undervolt the card, you might get away with it. But as that GPU peak power is 370W
and PSU peak was 546W in it best times ....
its very close to the limit, with a incredibly sharp spike. That psu fail is very possible.