Question Computer randomly shutting down

keshan15

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
Over the past few weeks I have noticed that my laptop is shutting down without warning whenever I try to do something even remotely demanding to it. To find out why, I installed CrystalDiskInfo and CAM on my laptop to find out whether my laptop is overheating. My laptop CPU is on 82 degrees Celsius when its on idle, which from my research is too high. I have also noticed that CrystalDiskInfo says that my hard drive (HDD) is on 58 degrees and I don't have anything running apart from Chrome. It typically shuts down at around 65 degrees temperature for hard drive and when I turn it on after 12 hours it shows 53 degrees. It shows the health status as 'good' however when I scroll down there is is a red dot on 'Airflow temperature'. I am wondering if this is the reason behind it. I have thought about getting an SSD to replace the HDD but I'm wondering would the CPU heat the SSD up and still suffer the same problem. I have also wondered whether I should get a laptop cooling pad as they look really cheap on Amazon.

I don't want to spend too much repairing it since my parents bought it for me in 2016 for £120 (second-hand).
The computer is a HP Elitebook 2560p and has a Intel i5-2540m and integrated INTEL HD 3000 graphics.
It's worked perfectly until a couple months ago when the wifi adapter was failing so i replaced it and also now this issue.

btw im a teenager
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is your laptop make and model? (and what components are inside it)

My laptop CPU is on 82 degrees Celsius when its on idle, which from my research is too high.
This is far too high, I wouldnt' expect a CPU to go over 40 degrees if it is idle, maybe a bit more in a laptop.
I would sooner guess that residual heat from the laptop itself is heating everything else up.

if your CPU temperature with minimal load is 80 degrees, then this is the much bigger cause for concern.
What are you ambient temperatures?
Hold old is the laptop?
Is it definitely 82 when you just boot up? What temperature do you get in BIOS?

keshan15

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019

This is far too high, I wouldnt' expect a CPU to go over 40 degrees if it is idle, maybe a bit more in a laptop.
I would sooner guess that residual heat from the laptop itself is heating everything else up.

if your CPU temperature with minimal load is 80 degrees, then this is the much bigger cause for concern.
Hold old is the laptop?

I'll check temperatures in BIOS, like I said earlier my parents bought the laptop in 2016, however looking at the date in the BIOS and the dates shown when the components were manufactured I'm guessing the laptop was built sometime in 2012 (the BIOS says October 2012 but the sticker showing date of manufacture for various components inside the laptop say around July 2012)
Also if this helps I upgraded the computer to Windows 10 in September 2018 and installed Ubuntu (dual-boot) in January 2019. I hardly ever use Ubuntu nowadays tho.

keshan15

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019

Hold old is the laptop?
photo.JPG

Apologies for late response but here's the laptop specs. I was busy with other stuff.