Question Computer randomly shutting off, can't start up, no overheating. Happens very intermittently?

Danaima

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
My personal custom pc of 3 to 4 years old has been irregularly freezing then shutting off randomly during use for 2 months now. I don't play heavy games on it and my pc doesnt overheat, prior to this I always cleaned it with an air duster every few months. There are some times when I tried to turn it on the fans only spin for a moment before stopping and not able to start. When I manage to start it up after it shuts off randomly, I sometimes will get a 'Windows 10 didn' t load correctly' recovery screen.

I tested the RAMs with mem test and it passed. changed it out with a spare psu and the problem persists.

I could get it to turn on and stay on for hours after removing my graphics card. I reseated it, and everything is fine until the issue still happens again a few days later, even when I remove my graphic card.

I feel it might be my motherboard that is problematic so I send it down to a repair shop for a further diagnose. They stress tested it for 3 days and didn't encounter any auto shutdown issues unlike what happened to me at home so they have to send it back to me as they couldn't pinpoint what the problem is.
What could be a possible reason to this? I am currently using a computer I borrowed from my office at the moment and it is plugged into the same power as where my personal pc used to be, and yet it is still working fine, so it can't be related to my home power. It has been 2 months and I really want to get this resolved.

Computer specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
Cpu: Intel core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz skylake 14mm Technology
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Technology Co Ltd H170M-D3H-CF
Gpu: 2047MB NVDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Reactions: totinospizzaboy
Aug 31, 2020
I have a very similar custom build to you and am having a similar issue. Whether I'm doing simple tasks or gaming the PC will hard reboot without warning. Sometimes it will give me a notice that BIOS was unable to configure properly and you have to confirm the settings to continue starting up. I'm thinking that Gigabyte may have some faulty MOBOs from this generation. Any way to test this issue?

EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair 750W fully modular PSU
GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 16GB

Danaima

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
I have a very similar custom build to you and am having a similar issue. Whether I'm doing simple tasks or gaming the PC will hard reboot without warning. Sometimes it will give me a notice that BIOS was unable to configure properly and you have to confirm the settings to continue starting up. I'm thinking that Gigabyte may have some faulty MOBOs from this generation. Any way to test this issue?

EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair 750W fully modular PSU
GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 16GB

Hm I have this pc from late 2016/early 2017. i didnt get the BIOS notice though. does it happen frequently to you or only on certain days?

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
My personal custom pc of 3 to 4 years old has been irregularly freezing then shutting off randomly during use for 2 months now. I don't play heavy games on it and my pc doesnt overheat, prior to this I always cleaned it with an air duster every few months. There are some times when I tried to turn it on the fans only spin for a moment before stopping and not able to start. When I manage to start it up after it shuts off randomly, I sometimes will get a 'Windows 10 didn' t load correctly' recovery screen.

I tested the RAMs with mem test and it passed. changed it out with a spare psu and the problem persists.

I could get it to turn on and stay on for hours after removing my graphics card. I reseated it, and everything is fine until the issue still happens again a few days later, even when I remove my graphic card.

I feel it might be my motherboard that is problematic so I send it down to a repair shop for a further diagnose. They stress tested it for 3 days and didn't encounter any auto shutdown issues unlike what happened to me at home so they have to send it back to me as they couldn't pinpoint what the problem is.
What could be a possible reason to this? I am currently using a computer I borrowed from my office at the moment and it is plugged into the same power as where my personal pc used to be, and yet it is still working fine, so it can't be related to my home power. It has been 2 months and I really want to get this resolved.

Computer specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
Cpu: Intel core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz skylake 14mm Technology
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Technology Co Ltd H170M-D3H-CF
Gpu: 2047MB NVDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Hey I have the exact same problem as you, CPU: Intel core i5 6600, same motherboard Gigabyte H170M-D3H-CF. I also tested RAM, swapped PSU, and use onboard graphics with same random shutdown problem. Sometimes it runs fine for days or shut off after leaving it on overnight. I took it to a repair shop where he used OCCT power test and my system would freeze within minutes. He replaced my CPU with another i5-6400 and ran the same test overnight without problems. I noticed that test pushed my CPU to 100c, while other stability tests ran fine. At this point I cant determine if it's really my CPU at fault or the motherboard. Have you tried swapping another motherboard to see if it works?

Danaima

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
Hey I have the exact same problem as you, CPU: Intel core i5 6600, same motherboard Gigabyte H170M-D3H-CF. I also tested RAM, swapped PSU, and use onboard graphics with same random shutdown problem. Sometimes it runs fine for days or shut off after leaving it on overnight. I took it to a repair shop where he used OCCT power test and my system would freeze within minutes. He replaced my CPU with another i5-6400 and ran the same test overnight without problems. I noticed that test pushed my CPU to 100c, while other stability tests ran fine. At this point I cant determine if it's really my CPU at fault or the motherboard. Have you tried swapping another motherboard to see if it works?

In my case it was my cpu that was at fault, have the repair shop tried to test with a spare mobo with your old cpu?