Question Computer randomly stopped starting up?

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I built this system about a year ago with pretty high end parts. The motherboard is an aorus gaming 7, the power supply is a 1000 watt evga G3. Processor is an i9 9900k and ram is Corsair vengeance pro, and the case is Corsair obsidian 500d.

It's been working just fine til today when the power button stopped doing anything. Almost like it's not getting power.

The keyboard still lights up and there's a red power icon led on the motherboard (pushing it didn't change anything) so there's definitely power going to the system.

No lights flash when pushing the power button, no fans spin, nothing on the monitors. I was thinking the PSU may have died, but I plugged a different PSU into the 24 pin and 8 pin Mobo power slots to no effect.

The PC has not moved, so a short seems like the next possibility, but nothing could have shaken loose so I have no idea how that could possibly be the case.

If it was a short, would the keyboard still be able to get power from the computer despite the computer not being able to turn on?

If not, does anyone have any idea about how to narrow the issue down?

Ralston18

Titan
If two PSU's have not worked then the motherboard is suspect.

Have you checked that all other motherboard components and cables are fully and firmly seated?

What about a new CMOS battery?

Roll back the components to a basic hardware configuration: motherboard, integrated graphics, RAM, and boot drive.

Objective being to at least get the computer to boot.

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I was worried it was a motherboard issue, but it seems weird to have a flawless motherboard for a year, only to one day completely fail to respond.

I took a look around the board and it seemed that all components were firmly seated but I have not tried replacing the CMOS battery. Was hoping to avoid doing so, because I don't want to redo the overclock, but it sounds like that's the next step.

I'm currently running without the GPU, I could remove my non boot drive but other than that, I'm pretty barebones as it is :/