[SOLVED] Computer randomly turns off while using it.

Feb 21, 2022
In the past 3 days my computer has been powering off randomly usually from 5 minutes to 1 hour of usage. When it does turn off it takes a few times to power back on because it will turn off mid boot. This is not a temperature problem as I have monitored temps and reapplied thermal paste several times. I have reassembled the pc and it seems to have not fixed anything.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Geforce RTX 3060ti Founders Edition
RAM: 32gb OLOy 4x8 ddr4 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 700 GD 700W Gold
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m ds3h

Solution
Maybe the new PSU is not up to the task either and a sudden spike that causes a drop in power delivered to other parts of the board (other rails) puts the system in limbo? Not sure if that makes sense or can actually happen or not.

Also checking the motherboard may not be a bad idea. If bread-bording does not produce sudden power offs while not gaming (light load) that might mean the mobo is OK. If while bread-boarding you put system under heavy load like the game that caused the latest power off and it repeats and turns off that could mean the PSU can't handle the spikes.

Is there another PSU around you can check with perhaps? Anything 850W or even higher?
Here I actually mean 750W and higher, the 850 was a typo.
Feb 21, 2022
update: won’t even turn on fans spin for about half a second then nothing. probably going to order a new psu any recommendations you can give me from looking at my specs?

Reactions: Why_Me
Reactions: Eletrix

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
This psu is manufactured by Seasonic for Phanteks.

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-80PLUS-Supply-Modular-Certified/dp/B07W8ZS9HF/
Phanteks AMP Series 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $83.76

I had a similar issue with a gold rated 850 PSU when first building my computer. Sent it back to newegg and replaced it with a platinum 650 and I haven't had an issue in 6+ years.

Maybe I just got lucky/unlucky but I think the difference between gold and platinum is more substantial than the actual wattage rating.

It's too late to send back but you don't have to spend too much more to get a higher rated psu - it's not the sexiest component but an extra $20-$50 could be what's holding you back from half a decade of headache free power/gaming.

ailsa_1

Honorable
Nov 29, 2016
In the past 3 days my computer has been powering off randomly usually from 5 minutes to 1 hour of usage. When it does turn off it takes a few times to power back on because it will turn off mid boot. This is not a temperature problem as I have monitored temps and reapplied thermal paste several times. I have reassembled the pc and it seems to have not fixed anything.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Geforce RTX 3060ti Founders Edition
RAM: 32gb OLOy 4x8 ddr4 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 700 GD 700W Gold
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m ds3h
  1. Memory reasons. The computer may automatically shut down when the memory is loosely in contact with the motherboard socket. It is recommended to check whether the memory is inserted tightly with the motherboard.
  2. Software reasons. It is recommended to check whether the recently installed software carries Trojan viruses. If this is the reason, it is recommended to backup your computer to Google Drive or other cloud storage devices to avoid data loss.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Power off while gaming or under other kind of load? The 3000 are known to have spikes while under load but the 3060s are better in that area and have smaller spikes. Mind you the 650W must be/is enough for that system (at least on paper). Is there another PSU around you can check with perhaps? Anything 850W or even higher?

Also I would check those RAM sticks with memtest, one stick at a time.

You said you have reassembled the PC. Another thing you can do is bread-board the system out of the case. MOBO on a non-conductive surface and connect everything and see if it powers off.

Feb 21, 2022
ok
Power off while gaming or under other kind of load? The 3000 are known to have spikes while under load but the 3060s are better in that area and have smaller spikes. Mind you the 650W must be/is enough for that system (at least on paper). Is there another PSU around you can check with perhaps? Anything 850W or even higher?

Also I would check those RAM sticks with memtest, one stick at a time.

You said you have reassembled the PC. Another thing you can do is bread-board the system out of the case. MOBO on a non-conductive surface and connect everything and see if it powers off.

I used memtest and my pc passed all tests. I don’t have another psu but i have tried two so i want to eliminate that as the issue. I reseated my ram and it seems to be as tight as i can get it. I will try the bread-boarding next but i am now seeing another issue when my monitors go black and all of my USB devices disconnect but my pc stays on. I also can’t turn off my pc without using the PSU switch because the regular power switch gives no response.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Maybe the new PSU is not up to the task either and a sudden spike that causes a drop in power delivered to other parts of the board (other rails) puts the system in limbo? Not sure if that makes sense or can actually happen or not.

Also checking the motherboard may not be a bad idea. If bread-bording does not produce sudden power offs while not gaming (light load) that might mean the mobo is OK. If while bread-boarding you put system under heavy load like the game that caused the latest power off and it repeats and turns off that could mean the PSU can't handle the spikes.

Is there another PSU around you can check with perhaps? Anything 850W or even higher?
Here I actually mean 750W and higher, the 850 was a typo.

Solution

GazZa182

Commendable
Dec 2, 2020
Hey @Eletrix, I recently had that problem see thread below,
It stopped doing the random shut off about two weeks ago but just started doing it again. Have you had any powerouts/surges recently??

GazZa182

Commendable
Dec 2, 2020
I was just going though some trouble shooting on my computer, (unplugging each components PSU cable and attempting to start the computer). When I unplugged the CPU cable and turned it on, although the computer did not fully boot the power-lights stayed on, since we have the same CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) it could be a problem with that.

Also how long have you had the computer for?

GazZa182

Commendable
Dec 2, 2020
@Eletrix Hey man, I just got off from the phone with a computer repair guy and he believes my issue is a problem with the CPU itself and can't be fixed (needs to be replaced)
Dunno if this is your problem but since the problems are the same and we have the same CPU is is likely.
If i were you could I would chuck in another CPU if you got one, if not get a new one (but keep the receipt incase it is not the CPU).