Computer Randomy Shuts Off Everytime I Play a Game

Alex12349

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
I've started having a problem yesterday, basically, my PC runs absolutely fine doing the normal everyday activities such as surfing the internet, watching movies etc. However, when i try to play (any) game, after about 1-2 minutes of gameplay my screen goes black and about 2 seconds after, the PC shuts off completely (No Bluescreen message or anything) . This may only be a coincedence, but this problem started on the same day as I updated my graphics drivers, not sure if that can cause something like that but i thought it's worth a mention.

I am certain it's not an overheating problem because my case has very good circulation and quite frankly, what is the likelihood of one of my components overheating to a dangerous level in 1 minute of playtime?

Could it be my PSU somehow? I've got many assumptions but I don't know for sure. Anyone had a similar problem or know what could be the problem be from the sounds of things please help me out I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. I'm also certain it's not RAM failure either because I had problems with RAM before (replaced) and it would display a blue screen.

My Components:
Zalman Z11 Case
AMD HD 7950 GPU
Intel i5 4670K Quad core @3.6 GHz
8GB Corsair RAM
VS650W Corsair PSU

sammy sung

Admirable
May 5, 2014
My first suggestion would be to check your current driver version, and compare it to the latest non beta driver from the manufacturer's website, or AMD preferably. Otherwise roll back to the previous driver(there's tutorials online) and see if the issue persists.

Also make sure your motherboard is flashed to the most recent BIOS. Make sure your display is updated to the most recent non beta drivers available.

I also wouldn't rule out the idea of the power supply being the culprit. It's of very poor quality, and even though the stated wattage would have you believe it's more than enough. Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection. Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Alex12349

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

Thank you for taking your time to answer. I will try everything you said and i'll get back to you.

Alex12349

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

Right so I have tried everything you said and the problem still persists, I believe that it is in fact my PSU which is causing the problem. How can I know for sure? Are there some sort of tests I could perform?