Computer rebooting overnight

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
My Dell 8700 with Windows 10 recently started rebooting at some point over night. I have all power settings turned off so it really shouldn't reboot ever. I haven't checked Windows Update but I doubt there are this many situations where it has a forced reboot because of an update since it's happening almost every night.

On a side note, whenever the computer is restarted, it stops on the Dell logo while booting up and never finishes. If I shut it down and turn it back on it boots up fine. And even from Windows, if I shut down instead of reboot, and turn it on, it boots up fine. So obviously, because my computer is randomly restarting, and not completely shutting down, when i get to the room in the morning, it's sitting at the Dell logo. It's really annoying and I also worry if there's something actually wrong happening or if it's just some software thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I don't think a different PSU would be an easy thing to test but definitely I can try changing the surge protector or outlet and see if that helps. Although wouldn't it just shut all the way down if it was something like that? Not sure but I would think...

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Hey so a little update. After this happening like 5 nights in a row, tonight I woke up to a squealing noise coming from that room. I tracked it to the ups battery backup and turned it off and sure enough that was the squealing. Turned it back on and it's OK but I know that normally means a battery going dead so I'm ordering a new one today...

Could that be what's causing it to restart? A bad ups battery? Again I'm pretty sure it's not shutting down in the night, it's restarting.