[SOLVED] Computer reboots during gameplay

Sep 28, 2020
The crash happens in multiple games, so it's not just one game. Everytime I play, it can randomly reboot at any given moment and I'm not sure what is the problem. I thought it was overclocking with XMP so I put it to default and it still crashes. Heat isn't an issue because everything looked fine.

I created a log before I crashed if anyone can read it.
https://sabercathost.com/qFhS/CrashLog1.CSV

Specs:
Asus Maximus X Code
i7-8700k
Asus 2080
G.Skill 3200 mhz ram with 14 CAS latency
EVGA Supernova g3 850W

Last edited:
Solution
Lend/steal/buy another PSU to test your system with, power issues are very often related to your PSU
Going on the info you provided your PSU may have a borked capacitor
We need to take it out of the equation before we troubleshoot further
Sep 28, 2020
My computer reboots, but I'm thinking it's my cpu since my motherboard has been feeding it up to 1.5v and I didn't know much about the safe ranges of overclocking so I used their xmp preset at the time for 1-2 years until my first random reboot happened. My temps were all fine throughout all this. I started to use the base clock on my 8700k and no reboot yet while playing.

Sep 28, 2020
If I were to borrow another psu, should I put the xmp profile on? Except I'll downvolt the cpu to a safer voltage. With the xmp profile I usually always crash within 1-10 minutes of gameplay.

Sep 28, 2020
I've always had the xmp profile for about 2 years until my computer rebooted out of nowhere for the first time, changing some of the stuff definitely stalls the reboot for longer.

Sep 28, 2020
I'll see who I can borrow a similar psu from and test it with xmp profile to force the crash quicker if it does crash. Since I've been playing all day today with no problems until about 30 minutes ago. I'll give update once I test it out.

Sep 28, 2020
So I actually tested another psu of the same wattage with overclock and everything was stable for ~4 hours. Then I swapped back to my psu (testing it so I decided to put it on the outside) and everything was still perfect. So I assume the bottom intake was not great, even though I had it there for 2-3 years with no reboot (I do clean the pc time to time). I'll still be playing time to time to see if I'll potentially crash with my original psu on the outside of the case.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Sep 28, 2020
After testing the power supply on another computer over time. The other computer (with similar components) rebooted. So I guess it was the power supply all along, does anyone know any power supply brands that are reliable for a long time?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
After testing the power supply on another computer over time. The other computer (with similar components) rebooted. So I guess it was the power supply all along, does anyone know any power supply brands that are reliable for a long time?
There are no reliable brands per se. Brands make great units and also trash units. (for example EVGA, Cooler Master, and ThermalTake especially!)

The SuperNOVA G3 is actually a decent enough unit, not the best, but good. Looks like it was just a bit unfortunate. But also good quality units are not just about working for a long time, but when something "bad" happens, they are able to contain the problem, it might get damaged in the process, but it prevents it from reaching your other components. This is especially relevant in brownouts, surges etc.

The important thing is the specific MODEL of PSU you get and of course, to not go "cheap" on the PSU.

How long have you had the unit as it may be under warranty?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
I've had the unit since February 2018, and it is under warranty (10 yr warranty). I was planning to get a back up psu incase things like this happen again, so at least I'll be able to use my computer while waiting on a replacement psu.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've had the unit since February 2018, and it is under warranty (10 yr warranty). I was planning to get a back up psu incase things like this happen again, so at least I'll be able to use my computer while waiting on a replacement psu.
Personally, the G3 is still a decent unit. And as you say, has a 10 year warranty, I would just keep that.
If you do want a backup, i guess it depends what budget you want to put towards it.

The PSU that is usually lowest cost but still decent enough quality for a system would be a Corsair CX (grey label).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There are a lot of facets to it really, but you could probably condense it to this:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the info! I was looking towards a high end corsair one, but I'll check the others out. I assume the multi rail is better than single rail?
Nowadays, not really. They were designed for a certain reason, but nowadays the better protections in a PSU should kick in before an issue occurs with Single Rail. Nowadays, It doesn't overly matter as long as you get good quality.

Sep 28, 2020
I guess if anyone else is reading this, testing the psu on another system with similar components can ensure it's the psu once it reboots. I just swapped my psu with someone else's and we both played the same game until his computer rebooted (it did after like a week or so of playing).