Computer reboots during graphics intensive games

mj_angus

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello,

I purchased an Alienware Aurora ALX R4 computer 3 months ago now and I have been plagued by a very annoying issue since day 1. Whenever I play a graphics intensive game, such as Far Cry 3 or Shadow of Mordor, my computer reboots itself (without a BSOD). In Shadow of Mordor, the reboots occur at the exact same point during two different missions. I have tried the graphics settings on both medium and ultra and it makes no difference.

In Starcraft II, the reboots occured at least 3 times during the same cutscene at the beginning of a new mission. I have had the graphics card replaced today, but that has made no difference. All diagnostic tests on the computer have come back without any issues. When I run GPU benchmark tests such as Heaven, they run without any issues.

I have tried older and newer versions of graphics card drivers without any luck. Less graphics intensive games run without any issues. All temperatures seem to be normal.

Here are the specs of my computer:

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 3.70GHz
Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB DDR3 @ 800MHz

Motherboard
Alienware 0FPV4P (CPU 1)

Graphics
DELL S2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ATI)

Storage
1863GB Intel Raid 0 Volume (RAID)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH30N

Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Any ideas or help with what the issue may be would be greatly appreciated.

Kingbob

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I had that problem because my GPU was not getting enough power (meaning it was overclocked a little too much in my case). Not sure if that will help with your situation but it is worth looking into if you have no other ideas.

Kingbob

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Unfortunately (or fortunately). It looks like you might have a different problem. I would call in to the customer support and see if you can get the whole unit replaced (of course keeping the same hard drive).

mj_angus

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
I found another GPU Stress Test called 'FurMark'. I tried to run the 'Burn-in benchmark 1920 x 1080 15 min test' and the computer reboot as soon as it loaded up. A warning came up before running the test that said:

Possible causes of instability:
- too high overclocking settings
- insufficient PSU
- problems with the VGA cooler (GPU or/and VRM)

I haven't overclocked anything (wouldn't know how) and the Graphics Card was replaced today, so maybe it's a faulty PSU?

rushib1

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

bro what was your psu again?