Computer reboots multiple times per day on its own.

BabyJenny

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hey all!

I'm having an issue where my computer is restarting multiple times per day, and I can't figure it out!

It started happening after I did multiple things, so I'm unsure which is the culprit.

Things I did before the issue started occuring:
■ 1. I received a windows update, and preformed "Update and Shutdown".
■ 2. Before I started up again, I installed two additional harddrives, and added in another graphics card (in addition to my current one)
■ 3. I was having trouble getting both GPUs to play nice, so I did a lot of installing/uninstalling drivers, as well as disabling/reenabling the GPUs.
■ 4. Started back up, and let windows finish it's update.

Things I've tried:

■ 1. The first thing I tried was to remove my extra graphics card. The card I have in there now is a GTX 980ti, and i was trying to add a Quadro 6000. I've hard them both working before, but removed the Quardo previously because I thought it was causing issues with Photoshop (which that turned out not to be the case).
■ 2. My CPU was overclocked, so I reset my BIOS to set everything to defaults. While I was trying to stabilize my overclock, it crashed a lot, which I thought looked similar to this, so I tried to put it at it's default clock. I'm not sure why this would be the case, since my computer had been overclocked for a while now.
■ 3. Tried to uninstall the windows updates that were installed. I haven't had success doing this, as it always says "Install or uninstall of one or more windows features or updates was not successful". I tried this because I thought I caught the computer after a random shutdown, and I thought it looked like it was trying to finish some update, but it was unsuccessful? I'm unsure about this. I just rand SFC and it says there were no issues.

So currently the extra GPU is out of the computer, and my Bios are set to default. The two new harddrives I added are still in the computer.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

Solution
Umm hi dude, that problem is VERY VERY irritating. So I had this same problem of my PC restarting on its own continuously. It happened only after closing the door of my cabinet(which used to not be there for years till yesterday) so I have one SATA drive and one IDE drive. So the issue could be the connection of the hard disks in your PC! In my PC, the connection of the hard disks were going losses since there wasn't enough space for the hard disk cable since I closed the door of the cabinet.

So, conclusion:-

Try making some space and ensure that your hard disk connections are connected properly and aren't going loose, cuz when I removed the door of the cabinet in my PC(which doesn't lead to my hard disk connections going loose...

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Umm hi dude, that problem is VERY VERY irritating. So I had this same problem of my PC restarting on its own continuously. It happened only after closing the door of my cabinet(which used to not be there for years till yesterday) so I have one SATA drive and one IDE drive. So the issue could be the connection of the hard disks in your PC! In my PC, the connection of the hard disks were going losses since there wasn't enough space for the hard disk cable since I closed the door of the cabinet.

So, conclusion:-

Try making some space and ensure that your hard disk connections are connected properly and aren't going loose, cuz when I removed the door of the cabinet in my PC(which doesn't lead to my hard disk connections going loose since it doesn't touch each other now) my PC works fine now and doesn't reboot at all!

So, just make some space and ensure that the hard disk cables are connected properly and there's enough space and make sure nothing is interfering with the connections like I mean, to make sure that nothing is shaking the cables.

Solution

BabyJenny

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hey Rohit Ajay,

Thanks so much for your help. I replaced one of the older SATA cables that I was using with something that clicked in, and I haven't experienced a random shut down so far.

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: Rohit_Ajay123