[SOLVED] Computer reboots to BIOS instead of OS

Aug 15, 2021
I have my bios set to turn the computer back on in the event of a power failure. However, when it turns back on, it boots into bios instead of windows 10. Why does this happen?

MSI B360-A Pro
Core i3 8100
8GB RAM
512GB SSD

I tried disabling fast boot. That didn't do anything. Help?

Solution
can you get to Windows when exiting the BIOS or does it just loop back to the BIOS again?

if you can get to Windows, you can just use Sleep Mode instead of Shutdown and wake back up directly into Windows.
but this would only be workaround not a solution that i'm sure you'd like to have.

reset BIOS to Optimized Defaults.

if this doesn't work you can try to let Windows run it's Startup Repair tool.
either create a Windows install package with the Media Creation Tool and use it's repair options.
or just spam the reset button multiple times until Windows goes into repair mode itself and run the Startup Repair tool from there.
can you get to Windows when exiting the BIOS or does it just loop back to the BIOS again?

if you can get to Windows, you can just use Sleep Mode instead of Shutdown and wake back up directly into Windows.
but this would only be workaround not a solution that i'm sure you'd like to have.

either create a Windows install package with the Media Creation Tool and use it's repair options.
or just spam the reset button multiple times until Windows goes into repair mode itself and run the Startup Repair tool from there.

Solution
Aug 15, 2021

That doesn't help. There's an outage. What is sleep mode going to do. The PC detect power and reboots....... Into bios instead of OS. I have to manually restart it when it's in bios again to go to windows. I don't want to manually restart it. I want it to automatically boot windows 10

That doesn't help. There's an outage. What is sleep mode going to do.
Sleep Mode would allow you to load directly back into Windows until your next blackout without having to manually restart from within the BIOS every time you want to stop using the system and power down.

and i already stated that this wouldn't be the "fix" you were looking for, just a workaround.

I don't want to manually restart it. I want it to automatically boot windows 10
so you have already tried all other recommendations and they didn't work so you have just responded to complain that someone is offering you types of solutions?

even if you can fix this "issue";
if you are experiencing this many power failures that it has become such an issue you need to either move or get a very reliable UPS backup.

Aug 15, 2021
Sleep Mode would allow you to load directly back into Windows until your next blackout without having to manually restart from within the BIOS every time you want to stop using the system and power down.

and i already stated that this wouldn't be the "fix" you were looking for, just a workaround.

so you have already tried all other recommendations and they didn't work so you have just responded to complain that someone is offering you types of solutions?

even if you can fix this "issue";
if you are experiencing this many power failures that it has become such an issue you need to either move or get a very reliable UPS backup.

It's not that the power goes out, it's that the machine will run for several hours at a time then randomly power itself off. I have it set to power itself back on, but I want to it to boot the OS, not the bios

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
the machine will run for several hours at a time then randomly power itself off. I have it set to power itself back on, but I want to it to boot the OS, not the bios
ah, your original post was not clear as to what was actually happening.

your system is crashing & shutting down due to hardware failure, it's not just some random common occurrence.
the system resets to the BIOS in an opportunity to correct any possible issue.

you will have to determine what is failing and causing the crashing and then replace the component or correct the issue to stop this from happening.