PondHopper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I have an HP Pavilion 17 -e409wm
Here are the specs
AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M accelerated processor
3.50GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

750GB SATA hard drive
Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more

10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display
AMD Radeon HD 8650G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 4206MB total graphics memory

When ever i player games my computer randomly reboots. No error messages appear after rebooting. When ever i do things like browsing the internet or even small browser games everything works fine. Games like Mirror's edge, Torchlight 2, Surgeon simulator and fallout new vegas cause my computer to reboot. The only game that seems to run fine is league of legends.

Not errors show up in event viewer. Ive tested both the memory and the video hardware and still no errors. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers, updated all my drivers, and tried all drivers available. Im thinking that i have a bad PSU in my laptop but im not sure. Im thinking that higher end games use more power and there is a voltage issue in my PSU.

What does this issue sound like? If it is a bad PSU how could i test it?

Solution
download a thermal monitor program like speed fan and check ur temps. whats ur idle temp and after playing LOL for like 5 mins. if LOL is bring ur cpu above 70c or if idle(nothing open)above 50c u having a cooling issue. you can also get sisoft Sandra free version will tell u what the temps are and voltages are though the hardware monitor. it also will allow u to benchmark ur cpu or run a load test. I would go to a thermo reset case before a bad voltage causing the issue. if you can take a screen shot of ur voltages and post here if you think they may be wrong.
Is this a new issue or has the labtop had issues from the time you bought it? Have you tried a cpu load test to see if it crashes. So far you have said its only in games. In my hp labtop ( I have amd a 8 with crossfire in my labtop) I have had issues in games only due to driver issues.

my free and easy recommendation

1. go to HP support and download the file for most recent video driver(don't get it from AMDs web site there universal driver can be the cause of the issue)

2. uninstall all amd drivers ( go to amd website and search uninstall drivers on how to do this) make sure u uninstall ATI catylist

3. reboot computer

4. run hp driver package

5. reboot

6. test to see if it still does it

Good luck

download a thermal monitor program like speed fan and check ur temps. whats ur idle temp and after playing LOL for like 5 mins. if LOL is bring ur cpu above 70c or if idle(nothing open)above 50c u having a cooling issue. you can also get sisoft Sandra free version will tell u what the temps are and voltages are though the hardware monitor. it also will allow u to benchmark ur cpu or run a load test. I would go to a thermo reset case before a bad voltage causing the issue. if you can take a screen shot of ur voltages and post here if you think they may be wrong.

Solution