[SOLVED] Computer reboots when playing games, Looking for a fix!

Jul 16, 2020
PC Parts list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
(Substitute for BIOS update CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200)
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro 4
GPU: Msi Radeon RX Vega 56
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 512GB
HDD: WD Blue 4TB
Wifi Chip
Gamemax Iceberg 240.

My PC is relatively new and i built it myself (This is my first system). I had originally planned for it to be an upgrade to play games with my friends. When i first got all the pieces together and finished the build for the first time the computer wouldn't start up so i ended up taking it to a PC shop to have it checked as i wasnt keen on replacing anything just yet. The Shop took their time with it and told me that it is possible that the motherboard was the issue and it may need replacing as well as the PSU and CPU (This was over 4 different visits and other unrelated issues), as such i went home and returned those pieces and got replacements to no avail. I ended up taking the PC back to the shop again and this time they were almost stumped and told me that the motherboard could require a BIOS update to run the CPU i had bought for this PC. To fix that issue i bought a CPU that the pc would be able to run so that i could boot it up and install a BIOS update so that i could use my better CPU. Once that issue had resolved itself i installed my OS (Windows 10) and all of my programmes as well as the install disks for each component. All is well for a while until me and my friends start to play some Triple A titles (Namely Call of Duty, GTA 5 and Fallout 76 to name a few) when my PC suddenly shuts down and reboots on its own. I dont think too much of it at the time and just chalk it up to ingame settings until it happens again.

This issue has been going on for a while now and we thought it had to do with the temperature of my CPU so i replaced the stock heatsink with the Cooling system i labeled at the header of this post.

Unfortunately that didn't resolve the issue and i'm really frustrated with this as i can't find a cause to why the computer would do this. Any help and tips would be massively appriciated!!

Solution
I think you should run HW monitor app. that's #1
#2 regardless of a PC shop looking at your rig, I have previous experience of them not being as thorough as they should be. Such things as loose PSU power wires and other things can happen. you should run through your wiring again, make sure your MOTHERBOARD power plug visually is good (unplug and look at motherboard pins and PSU pins for any browning/yellowing which would indicate burn/poor connection). 8PIN CPU wire plugs, reset those and make sure they are in good shape as the motherboard 24pin connector.
#3 you can run a MEMTEST app for a few hours to see if there are any errors within your RAM.
#4 Run Prime95 and for a few hours and see if you get any errors on your CPU cores...
This sounds like a classic PSU failure. From what I've read you already had it replaced? Are you certain you got a new piece?

Other things I would suggest is to get some sort of Hardware monitor set up, You could have a thermal shut down as well (poorly seated cooler)

lets just start there.

Jul 16, 2020
Hello there and thanks for the reply!

I had originally replaced the PSU back when i was having the BIOS update issue as the PC itself just refused to boot up. I got the replacement from amazon and then everything else i labeled in the original post proceeded to happen.

Currently i am running two monitors; an AOC 21.5 inch and a samsung curved 24 inch monitor. Since the AOC monitor doesnt have an HDMI port im using a VGA to Display port adapter to plug it into my GPU. The Samsung monitor has HDMI so its going directly into the one HDMI port on the GPU.

As for the thermal shutdown, i was thorough in making sure that the cooler went on correctly so much so that i had taken it on and off again before applying the thermal paste just to make sure that i was going to do it right. Even then this issue was occuring with the previous CPU cooler (Stock fan).

Would it be a good idea to purchase a new PSU and try that? And would there be anything i could do to support it if i do purchase a new one. Currently my PC is sitting on my floor, i try my best to keep it from getting too dusty, there is a dust filter under the PSU that i can remove and clean and i do so on a weekly basis. Also if you have any recommendations to a PSU i should get that would be massively appreciated!

I think you should run HW monitor app. that's #1
#2 regardless of a PC shop looking at your rig, I have previous experience of them not being as thorough as they should be. Such things as loose PSU power wires and other things can happen. you should run through your wiring again, make sure your MOTHERBOARD power plug visually is good (unplug and look at motherboard pins and PSU pins for any browning/yellowing which would indicate burn/poor connection). 8PIN CPU wire plugs, reset those and make sure they are in good shape as the motherboard 24pin connector.
#3 you can run a MEMTEST app for a few hours to see if there are any errors within your RAM.
#4 Run Prime95 and for a few hours and see if you get any errors on your CPU cores. Honestly the B450 is enough to run a ryzen3600, but it's not ideal especially if you decide to OC at all, weak power delivery or other unexpected symptoms may happen. You need to do above checks to get results toward a fix, skipping them you're just taking a shot in the dark. If you are talking about a COMPLETE shut down during load, it does 90% of the time point to a bad PSU. First rule out other common things before spending money.

Last edited:
Solution
Computer shutdowns under load (like gaming) are usually one of two things...a heat issue or the PSU is going bad. Run Ryzen Master and a few benchmarks like Cinebench R20 to see if the CPU temps are good...likewise run some GPU benches and check the temps. If the temps look good then you need to test the PSU...HWiNFO64 logging is a good way to check voltages under load to make sure the PSU is operating within the expected range.

TRENDING THREADS