Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
Hi All,

I have the following computer that I got during the spring:

Intel I7 12700k (with liquid cooling)
GIGABYTE Z690 UD AX DDR4
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6
1TB GIGABYTE AORUS (PCIE GEN4) NVME M.2 SSD
CORSAIR 16GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE RGB MEMORY (x2, 32GB in total)
APEVIA 800WATT GOLD 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY
Windows 11 Home

It appeared to be working well at first, but would then start getting random crashes and reboots. It now happens all of the time after 1 to 2 minutes of playing a game. Note that this happens both with the 3070 AND the onboard GPU. It happens at 1440/4k resolutions with high graphics and it happens at 1080p with low graphics. Windows is stable, even the main menu of games is stable, it's not until you are "in game." Everything will be fine, good FPS, low temps on CPU/GPU, and then it the sound will make a stuttering sound, the screen will go black, and the entire computer will crash and reboot. Windows is up to date as well as video drivers.

Oh, one time and one time only, while using the onboard video, it just crashed to windows (instead of rebooting the entire computer) and got a "the memory could not be read" message. I ran windows memory diagnostic tool and no errors were found.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your AIO/watercooler?

You might want to source a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal.

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

after 1 to 2 minutes of playing a game
What game? Might want to list the titles you've taxed the system with. As for the games, where did you source them from?

Capo1

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
Thanks for your help. Please see below for your questions:

Make and model of your AIO/watercooler?

Answer: I purchased the computer from Cyberpowerpc due to GPU availability/cost (I normally build). Here are the parts:
FA-WATER-404 CYBERPOWERPC DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360EX ARGB AIO LIQUID CP U COOLER W/ ANTI-LEAK TECHNOLOGY
FA-RING-214 DEEPCOOL CASTLE AIO LIQUID CPU COOLER RETENTION KIT ( 1 LGA1700 & LGA115X)

You might want to source a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal.

Answer: Are you saying I have 650W of overhead or just a higher quality 650W PSU? Is there a validate if the PSU is creating issues? The only additional items I have plugged in are a USB keyboard, USB mouse, monitor (via HDMI) and speakers.

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

Answer: BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. F5, 12/17/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.4
Embedded Controller Version 255.255

after 1 to 2 minutes of playing a game
What game? Might want to list the titles you've taxed the system with. As for the games, where did you source them from?

Answer: I have tested across 4 games. 2 are from Steam and 2 are from Xbox Gamepass

Steam: Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Supreme Commander FA (an old RTS that is 15 years old)
Xbox: Total War Warhammer 3 and Riftbreaker

I'd second this. It's a poor PSU. and is very likely the source of your restarts. Specially with the transient power spikes on RTX GPU's.

I wouldn't have it in my system if it had your specs. If it goes, it could take some hardware with it. As has been suggested. Get a decent PSU. Corsair RMx//RMi/TXM, Seasonic focus/gold, EVGA G2/G6, Superflower Leadex III. Something that's deserving of your hardware.

Edit: Just to clarify, with RTX GPU's, particularly the 3070 and up, they have power spikes where the load switches from low to high in a split second and power spikes occur, which trips over protections on the PSU. This is why it restarts. For more context, even some reputable PSU's have had some difficulty. But low end PSU's will nearly always have issues with modern systems, which your is.

Last edited:
Reactions: _ThunderClap_

Capo1

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
I'd second this. It's a poor PSU. and is very likely the source of your restarts. Specially with the transient power spikes on RTX GPU's.

I wouldn't have it in my system if it had your specs. If it goes, it could take some hardware with it. As has been suggested. Get a decent PSU. Corsair RMx//RMi/TXM, Seasonic focus/gold, EVGA G2/G6, Superflower Leadex III. Something that's deserving of your hardware.

Edit: Just to clarify, with RTX GPU's, particularly the 3070 and up, they have power spikes where the load switches from low to high in a split second and power spikes occur, which trips over protections on the PSU. This is why it restarts. For more context, even some reputable PSU's have had some difficulty. But low end PSU's will nearly always have issues with modern systems, which your is.

Thank you for your suggestion! However, a question, I am experiencing the exact same behaviour when I use onboard graphics and bypass the 3070. The failure point is the same as well. I was thinking PSU originally as well, but when it was still happening with onboard video, that got me second guessing.

Or does onboard video of this generation draw significant power too? I had heard onboard video was much "beefier," but didn't think it would get anywhere close to the 3070.

Thank you for your suggestion! However, a question, I am experiencing the exact same behaviour when I use onboard graphics and bypass the 3070. The failure point is the same as well. I was thinking PSU originally as well, but when it was still happening with onboard video, that got me second guessing.

Or does onboard video of this generation draw significant power too? I had heard onboard video was much "beefier," but didn't think it would get anywhere close to the 3070.

So, when it comes to a PSU failing or not providing enough power, it's not that it always happens at load. In fact a lot of the time, it can even happen at idle or low load. It's more random re-starts, than always restarts when at load. Whilst you would expect the frequency of re-starts to be less without the primary GPU in there, that's not always the case.

Last edited: