[SOLVED] Computer recognizes file as "Opened"

Raichi

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I looked online how to see if someone copied a file from my computer, and I arrived on a page that explained if you right click and select properties it will show when it was opened last which timeslots also changed when copied last.

My problem is, my computer recognizes the act of viewing properties as opening the file, rendering this entire method useless.

Is there a way to avert this, or why is this even happening when I am not even opening said file?

Please help

Lutfij

Titan
If the files on your system are valuable and you don't want others peering onto it, then perhaps set a password on your account to prevent people from logging on and copying over files?

I'm assuming you used this method;
?

If so, what version of Windows 10 are you working with at the time of writing?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can use process monitor to see what uses certain files, so you could set it to watch whatever file you think is being copied - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon - but you obviously need to do this before the fact.

It seems strange windows counts a file as being opened if you just look at its properties, its possible windows has to open part of it just to access properties.

Solution

Raichi

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I have a password, just want to take extra precautions is all. Thanks for procmon link I will look into it.
As for my windows version, it said: 1909 which is odd because I remember updating it with windows update several times

Colif

Win 11 Master