Computer Refuses to Power Up - HELP!

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hi everyone, I recently decided to build myself a computer, and I, being a noob, probably did something wrong.

I went and bought myself a OCZ 700W Modular PSU and a HAF922 case to house all the parts that were in my HP P6334f (specs below and mobo diagram within)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4120601&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=uk

So, I put everything in properly (to the best of my knowlege), mounted the PSU, mobo, hard drive, cd drive, etc. Plugged in the 24 pin power connector to the PSU and the 4 pin to the CPU spot to the left of the CPU, plugged the SATA cables as follows: SATA port 1 - Hard Drive, SATA port 2 - CD Drive, SATA port 3 - Case SATA Cord (probably for LED on/off or something, im not sure) and the power for the hard drive and CD Drive are on one single cable running to the PSU.

(Referr to screenshots if this makes no sense, im sorry if it doesn't but im new at computers and this is how im understanding it lol)

Now, I plug in the Powercord to the PSU from the wall, and flip the switch, but I get no fan's coming to life, sound, or lights. So, I looked online for what each port on the motherboard according to the HP support website has and found the one on the bottom right corner is where the tiny cords from the case plug into to power the unit up. I found a guide online after typing the port name in to plug the tiny cords in, but still I have no power. So, I took the old power button from the HP case and plugged it into the same spot as it was plugged into from before (which turns out to be the botton right corner spot) and tried using it but got no lights and nothing would happen when I pressed it.

Im asking you, the smart people of this community, to attempt to understand my problem and solve it before I end up paying to get it looked at, to find out its 1 stupid cord I have wrong.

EDIT: I realise I don't have the GPU plugged into the PCI slot, Im using it in this current PC so I can post these questions. When I try your reccomendations I will take it out and move it over to the other PC.
Here is a link to the pictures (It's a Mediafire link, the pictures are in a .rar file, ImageShack does not like it when I upload to the internet so I apologize)

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?vvez2d5cg87ygmc

Please take a look at the pictures, try to see through the mess of wires, and see what I've done wrong so I can solve this myself. I really need your help guys & gals!

Solution
Sorry but I can't look at your pictures as I'm at work, but I'll assume that everything is plugged in properly, as according to your description it sounds like it is. I would first check to make sure all your parts have been seated properly, especially the cpu, and make sure the 20+4 pin mainboard connector is plugged in securely.

If everything is seated properly, then you should try switching out the OCZ700W with the PSU that came with your pre-built case. If it boots up, then you need to RMA your OCZ PSU, if it doesn't, then it could be any number of things...my first guess being that you somehow fried your motherboard while moving your parts around, or that the motherboard was fried to being with.

You can also test your PSU...

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Sorry but I can't look at your pictures as I'm at work, but I'll assume that everything is plugged in properly, as according to your description it sounds like it is. I would first check to make sure all your parts have been seated properly, especially the cpu, and make sure the 20+4 pin mainboard connector is plugged in securely.

If everything is seated properly, then you should try switching out the OCZ700W with the PSU that came with your pre-built case. If it boots up, then you need to RMA your OCZ PSU, if it doesn't, then it could be any number of things...my first guess being that you somehow fried your motherboard while moving your parts around, or that the motherboard was fried to being with.

You can also test your PSU with your other PC to see if it works with that one, to rule out the PSU being the culprit.

(btw, motherboard = mainboard, sorry for switching between the two, not trying to confuse you, lol)

Solution

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

I checked, the CPU is seated as it should be (zero force needed to seat them, right?) and has no bent or faulty pins as far as I can see. I swapped the PSU with the 300W one that came with the prebuilt computer and the same thing happend, I got nothing happening. I'll try using the OCZ PSU with the computer im currently on to rule out the PSU for good though. Thanks for the reply, you made me feel 10000x better knowing someone out there wants to help :D

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Np, happy to help. But it seems that if even the 300W one doesn't boot it up, then its not a PSU issue. I think from here, I would try and find another mobo that is compatible with your cpu and try testing your cpu, HDD, and ram with the new mobo.

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably want to check out some of the hardware troubleshooting guides that are floating around these forums. Sorry I can't provide you with the link directly, but it shouldn't be too hard to find if you poke around the forums a little.

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Thanks for the help, the 700W PSU works fine, it powered the computer im using up to the windows load screen. Unfortunately, I don't have another mobo lying around that takes Intel socket 1156 CPU's, only AM2 socket :( I guess ill buy a new mobo and processor, I was going to have to do that anyways! :p

If anyone else thinks I've plugged a cord in wrong, feel free to jump in and point it out, I'm a noob at computers so im bound to have done something wrong.

Remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Remove everything that is not necessary to power up the computer, that includes front panel connectors, add-on cards, fans, memory etc. And if you still can't get it to work remove the motherboard from the case and try it on the bench.

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Thanks for the reply, I took it out of the case and placed it on my kitchen table and tried to power it with no luck still. I think I may have given it a static shock -_-

Time to head to the computer store and buy new parts! :D

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
In picture 5 the connector you are holding is the original proprietary front panel connector and it is still connected to the board. Where that is connected to the board (pic 2 pointing with pen) is where the connectors from pic 3 should go, I am just not sure how the ones in pic 3 connect yet. The motherboard diagram from Hp is not very descriptive. You might have to contact HP for the info. [:bohleyk:1]

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

I know that, I've tried using the connectors from picture 3 in there using the diagram I got by using HP's motherboard diagram and typing in the model names of those connection ports. The diagram I used is here: http://www.premiopc.com/images/support/fp.jpg

That didn't work though, I got no power using the case power on button after hooking those up, so I was trying to use the original front panel connector to power it on. I just never unplugged it for when I was taking screenshots. I emailed HP but its been 2 days and no response so im assuming im on my own. I'm going out soon to buy a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU anyways, its just a shame this mobo doesn't want to work.

I also tried unplugging everything necessary to power just the mobo on with the cpu fan, but still had no luck. I'm afraid the mobo is dead, because the PSU powers other computers up and using the Original Front Panel Connector I am able to power on other computers, so the front panel connector does indeed work.

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

I tried using the old powersupply, moving the motherboard to the old case, reseating the motherboard, and using both the old PSU and new PSU but it still wouldnt turn on.

overlord4142

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Can you explain this method in detail? I'm not sure what you mean.. :S