Computer Refuses to Turn On Even After RMA of Motherboard

Aepiis

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I built my computer around 1 year ago.
For 10 months it has been problem free however 2 months ago it started to take multiple attempts to power the computer on (no fans came on at all, absolutely nothing) and just recently it failed to show any signs of 'life' at all.
I assumed this was the fault of the motherboard after reading multiple threads on similar problems(I tested everything else and it worked fine) so I had it RMA-ed and just received the replacement. I eagerly rebuilt my PC only to find that the problem had not been fixed in the slightest, the symptoms were exactly the same as they had been before and even attempting to jumpstart the motherboard did nothing (so it isn't the case). At this point I am at my wits end and do not know who to turn to. Did I just receive a faulty replacement or is something like the CPU the problem?

Parts List:
CPU: AMD FX 6350
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: PowerColor R9 270X
PSU: Corsair HX650
HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive
SSD: Intel 730 Series 240GB
RAM: 1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB

Thank you in advance,
Aepiis

Solution
I would still recommend taking a multimeter and checking the actual outputs on your 24-pin. The 8-pin supplies power to your CPU, but the 24 provides for the board itself. You may be getting power through it, but is it the correct power? You should be getting with +/- 5 percent on your +12V, 5V and 3.3V lines, and +/- 10 percent on your - lines. Not enough power can have the same result as no power. Also, if the cables are not fully seated and/or there's too much play in the pins and sleeves, it could cause an intermittent fault. An intermittent fault isn't that common, and would be more likely if you plug and unplug the cables alot, like I do, but it's a possibility.

Is your board on a bench (or box) or is it installed in a...
May want to take a multimeter to your PSU or try hooking it to another system, if you have access to one. Alternatively, if you have access to another PSU, you could try that on your system. If it was your CPU, you should have had some signs of life from your mobo (LEDs, fans, etc).

Aepiis

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for the reply,
I've already confirmed that it isn't a problem with my power supply (I did the paperclip test to test the 24-pin connector and was able to run a fan off of the 8-pin) so, judging by your answer it must be the motherboard. Is there any way to test whether it is the motherboard aside from plugging another one into the system (I don't currently have another available)?
-- Aepiis

I would still recommend taking a multimeter and checking the actual outputs on your 24-pin. The 8-pin supplies power to your CPU, but the 24 provides for the board itself. You may be getting power through it, but is it the correct power? You should be getting with +/- 5 percent on your +12V, 5V and 3.3V lines, and +/- 10 percent on your - lines. Not enough power can have the same result as no power. Also, if the cables are not fully seated and/or there's too much play in the pins and sleeves, it could cause an intermittent fault. An intermittent fault isn't that common, and would be more likely if you plug and unplug the cables alot, like I do, but it's a possibility.

Is your board on a bench (or box) or is it installed in a chassis? A short between the mobo and the chassis is also a possibility.

Solution

Aepiis

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Thank you for your help, my system is in the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe however at the time of the first problem it was in the Thermaltake something-something so I doubt it's a problem with the case. I'm going to contact MSI and see about another replacement but I'll definitely ask around and see if any of my friends have a multimeter that I could borrow.
-- Aepiis