Computer Relic into Game Builder

Sep 20, 2018
I spend serious amount of time in Unity and Blender that caused my laptop to crash (ASUS G74SX -overheating, graphics failure, whatever). So now I've decided to go with a desktop. I was given a Thermaltake Xaser 3 V2420A but the guts inside look like they came from a museum. UPGRADE TIME! My problem is pcpartpicker doesn't have this particular case on file for my dimensions and compatibility. So after 2 days of scouring the web, I'm turning to you for help.

I need a system that can handle anything I throw at it (Unity, Blender, movies, games, web) for long periods of time (24 - 32hrs continuously) while using the Thermaltake case. I'm kinda partial to the case (because of who gave it to me) but I can use it for something later if I must.

Don't worry about my budget. Once I have a shopping list, I can get it as needed. Just try and keep it under $5000 please

The guts inside ALL need to be replaced (motherboard, drivers, power, etc). A lot of memory (2 - 4 TBs) and processing power for rendering, coding, and multi-tasking.

I am fond of, "Do it right the first time!"
So any help would be appreciated in reviving this relic with some new life.

Solution

Oh I didn't think you were actually going to use that case is why I left some allowance on the budget :x

But in case you were going to use that case I didn't include any liquid cooling radiator because I don't think it has any such support for them so I chose large air cooler. But you can change it to something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y4fp99/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9bse2
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7980XE 2.6GHz 18-Core Processor ($1879.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X299-DELUXE ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($444.81 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($1075.96 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($577.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($679.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $4878.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-20 08:02 EDT-0400

Sep 20, 2018
Thanks for your input animemangamer, however with the case dimensions, I fear the CPU Cooler might be to large. The dark rock is 6.3 in heigh and I have 6.2 in of overall height.

Oh I didn't think you were actually going to use that case is why I left some allowance on the budget :x

But in case you were going to use that case I didn't include any liquid cooling radiator because I don't think it has any such support for them so I chose large air cooler. But you can change it to something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y4fp99/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9bse2

Solution