[SOLVED] Computer restarting after launch games

Dec 6, 2019
Brand new build, thought everything was going fine had computer running for 8ish hours no problem(downloading games, drivers, watching twitch, ect) , launched No Man's Sky and after about 10 min my computer will just shut off and restart, no BSoD. Launched new Call of Duty and computer did the same thing before making it out of menus.

CPU and GPU Temps seem to be stable, CPU hit 76 GPU about 52. If I stress test each individual component I don't get the restarts, it seem to happen just from games. All drivers are up to date. I tried switching out my power strip and just plugging PSU directly into the wall, nothing changed. My gpu is hooked up to psu through two 6+2 pin cables and not the single 6+2 split cable not sure if that could be doing it. I'm guessing it's my PSU but I'm not sure, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Ryzen 3800x (stock wraith cooler)
MSI x570 gaming pro carbon MoBo
MSI RTX 2070 Super GAMING x
Gskill Trident neo 3600 32gb ram
Team Force 1tb ssd
Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200rpm hdd
EVGA 850w Supernova G+
NZXT H710 case
Windows 10 home 64 bit
6 total case fans, 3 120mm and 3 140mm

Last edited:
Solution
I'd rule out the PSU if you can manage a donor unit of the same wattage and brand(or another reliably built PSU maker) from your neighbor or friend. See if you can get it down to the bare minimum, removing fans and only your game OS drive attached.

Are you on 1909 for Windows 10? Latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd rule out the PSU if you can manage a donor unit of the same wattage and brand(or another reliably built PSU maker) from your neighbor or friend. See if you can get it down to the bare minimum, removing fans and only your game OS drive attached.

Are you on 1909 for Windows 10? Latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Reactions: PandaMoose
Solution
Dec 6, 2019
Okay, I'll definitely try and run as bare bones as possible and then get a donor psu if that doesn't work. Not 100% on windows update (I'll check when I get home and update if needed [totally forgot about checking OS] ) I am running most current mobo bios, flashed that yesterday forgot to add that above. I'll update as I go, thanks for the advice!

Dec 6, 2019
**Update:
Windows is up to date running on 1909, double checked all drivers, was missing a few, now they are definitely all up to date. Tried running a game again, instead of a restart the game just crashed event log showed Event ID 14 nblddmkm, log after shows it was my display driver that crashed/recovered.

Tried running with all extra components unplugged and still having the same problem.

Also after watching MSI afterburner for a while it seems my gpu clock and memory randomly spike even when at idle, they jump from 300 and 405mhz to 1605 and 7000mhz for a few seconds every minute or two, not sure if this is normal or not. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a few times but nothing has changed.

Found a different PSU I can test with tomorrow and see if it's my PSU.

Dec 6, 2019
Replaced PSU with loaner PSU and still had same issues, then realized I didn't unplug the non LED case fans in the front of my case. I tried that and computer worked! After testing all fans and fan plugs on mobo figured out it's the 'sys fan 2' plugs on my motherboard that is causing most of the issues. Still had a random black screen restart about 2hrs into gaming, turned off the automatic restart if windows crashes option and haven't had a problem since.

Blows my mind that a fan port on my mobo can cause game stuttering, restarts, and crashes. Would have not figured this out with your help Lutfij, thank you very much!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS