Computer Restarting - No Error Message. ( Failing Hardware ?)

Bionoman

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hi there,

I tried to fix this issue i have with my computer for the past year, it seemed to be overheating, but now, i beleive it turned into a hardware issue. Only problem is, i want to be sure which component is failing before i start randomly buying all the components all over.
My build was used for less than 2 years since 2010, around 2011, the random restarting began happening, but mostly when i play high end games, and the room temperature is fairly hot.

there was a point where my CPU temperatures reached around 70 to 80 Celsius. but that was fixed about a week ago with a new Cooling tower - Tpc 812.
The Random restarts could be becouse of CPU being damaged from overheating, or possibly the power supply being inadequate which i ruled out.

Please help, I dont want to begin another shopping spree, on trial error grounds with my hardware.
- im not a professional when it comes to computers either, i need your comments, suggestions and expertise desperately.

Thank you

in Detail:

When playing high end games, such as HL2 Garrys mod on high graphics, Xcom, or any other game, my Pc would run for about half an hour untill finally, it get to a point where the sound immediately freezes and glitches, the screen turns black, and the pc becomes unresponsive.
Kyboard doesnt work, the CD drive works.

Today this issue has become more clear, when now i attempt to play these games, and only 5 minutes or more into the game and the pc crashes.

- With endless internet browsing, i have found these possible reasons and fixes:

Possible Reasons:

1 OVERHEATING :
My Graphics card is a GTX 480 Nvidia - its considered a good card, but becomes very hot, and the CPU fan and heat sink has 2 pins that broke, causing the heatsink to not fully attach itself to the CPU.

Result: ( Faulty CPU )

2 GPU - graphics card Failing
Possibly my graphics card has reached its lfetime ( 2 years ) of generally working in heat, causing some components to malfunction )
Result ( Faulty GPU causes issue in hardware causing PC to crash ) - not sure if thats possible.

3 MOTHERBOARD and power supply:
After looking through the Event Log, i found the CRITICAL Error stating: Event ID (41) Kernel-Power happens every time my computer crashes, and after reading countless forums, i found that this is a simple Event message showing the Pc suddenly swtiched off and not cleanly saved all work.

-Causes may be Loss of Power, Restarting, Power supply failure:

There was a Thread that suggested that the issue could be a Damaged motherboard that would cause this issue.
I pray to god its not, becouse this desktop Pc was actually shipped from country to country once, by a shipping company.

The other Cause could be a insufficient or Faulty Power supply, which cant be possible considering its a new power supply that i recently bought to FIX this same issue i had.
It seems that the old Power supply had a short circuit of some sort, and didnt want to swtich the Pc back on, and right after getting the new power supply, the Issue disappeared for the Time being, until recently this issue ( Random restarts ) began again.

my power supply is a Corsair 780W i believe, and should be a good peice of hardware, since its lifespan is no less than a year.

4 Viruses or faulty Windows 7:
I ruled this out, since i got numerous anti viruses to see if i have any issues.
I havent checked windows fully, but i hope the OS is stable, which i think it is.

5 Memory:
I ruled this out, i havent seen any Memory related problems since i have 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator, DDR3 sticks, which worked fine.

hardware :
650W Corsair CMPSU-650TXUK TX, 86%
Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 45nm,
1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX Cavi
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator, DDR3
1536MB EVGA GTX480, 40nm, 3696MHz G
Asus P6X58D-E, Intel X58, S1366, PC
120GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5

Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core i7 - 950 3.07 GHz 8 cores

If you need any other specs, let me know.
Please feel free to add any comment.
Thank you

( Any Tips, Tricks or black magic is also welcome :D )

Bionoman

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 01-Jan-02 12:42:26 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010102-12012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: *****
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 6433136640 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1986297856

---------
The Heatsink was replaced last week with a new Cooling tower, its great, the CPU temp on idle is around 20 - 30 Celsius. 45 - 50 ~ also 60 if working.
Also thanks for the Dump file reader.

I read somewhere on the forums that it Could be the Sound drivers conflicting, and i did disable all the sound drivers and leave one on - Realtek. then run a game, and the issue persisted.

*** If you know of any software that can log computer performance in realtime, at specific time, CPU temp, Fan speeds, Read times, write times, GPU temps, etc, to the point where the pc Crashes, please do share :D, then i could maybe find what the issue is. thanks!

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
from what you have said, i'd most likely go with your GPU overheating. easy enough to check though. grab a second monitor and load up a GPU monitoring tool (i like GPU shark, nice and lightweight and does the job). have it ready to roll on your second monitor and load up your games on your main, just keep an eye on the screen and see what you get. if you can borrow a second monitor, you can rule out/point the finger of blame at the GPU at no cost. give it a go and keep me posted. got a few other ideas, but it'd best to rule out the obvious first!