Computer Restarting Randomly No Blue Screen (PSU Issue)?

thechief120

Honorable
May 18, 2013
For some reason as of late my computer has been having a hard time powering on and randomly restarting. About a week ago even when plugged in and turned on I have to flip the PSU's power switch a couple times to turn on the PC. Sometimes even flipping the PSU switch to the on position turns on the PC itself! Just starting yesterday the computer itself will randomly just restart for no reason, no errors messages, no blue screen, nothing. The computer even makes the "tick" sound as if I turned on the PC from being powered off. I'm not sure what's causing the issue, yesterday it happened once and today it happened 3 times, including when I was trying to post this question to the forums. I don't overclock anything, I have a freshly installed windows (not in response to PSU issue), or anything out of the ordinary.

The only issues I can decut are that I'm using custom cables for my power supply but that's because my CPU power cable that comes with the original PSU doesn't reach so I had to get a custom cable for it. And the other issue is that the power/restart/etc cable in the PC that connects from the chassis to my motherboard doesn't want to stay down on the motherboard. I think that is the issue but only time will tell if the PC keeps restarting even if I try to hold it down with something but don't want to use glue.

My PC Components (If Needed):
PSU: Corsair SF600
GPU: MSI GTX 980ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 @2.8Ghz
RAM: DDR4 RAM @ 2133 MHz
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC

I hope it's only a chassis cable issue since that'd be the quickest fix...

Edit: I have my computer plugged into a power strip, so that might cause a problem but what's odd is that the PC restarts but my monitors and the rest of the electronics connected to it don't get shutdown or affected at all.

Solution
Yes, I'd suspect the mobo header. When those damn things don't stay put its really frustrating. Heatglue is fairly safe, case builders use it all the time. But here is what I do when the problem presents itself.
I will take the 2 pin header on the mobo that's giving me fits and I will (carefully) pinch the two prongs together so that there is a little resistance to the cable terminal when it plugs in. Of course you will want to remove all power, and it may require removing some components. Also you really want to be very careful with those pins, they are thin and fragile. I use a very thin probe to do this and I only move the pins just enough to make the cable stay in.

Similar to a plug that consistently falls out of a wall outlet, a...

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
First, reset your bios. Then flash the newest firmware. Gaming MBs get all kinds of updates.

Also that tick (beep) sound is your PC POSTing. That means your system itself is working. You either have a power problem or motherboard related problems.

If your PSU works on another system. Disconnect everything. Then connect them one by one while testing each time (as if your building your PC from scratch).

NOTE: As far as I remember, any kind of abnormal restart should result in a warning from your system before starting up. If you're not getting anything maybe your windows itself is doing it or your motherboard is faulty in someway.

thechief120

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Yeah, I got the problem down to a motherboard issue, I pressed down the front panel connectors so that they don't budge and the computer hasn't reset since I posted this thread. If the computer keeps restarting I'll try resetting the BIOS and flashing an updated Firmware, but for now it seems to be working as normal. I would try the power supply on another system but unfortunatley I don't have another system to try it on but I do have another power supply but it isn't enough wattage (including GPU).

Yes, I'd suspect the mobo header. When those damn things don't stay put its really frustrating. Heatglue is fairly safe, case builders use it all the time. But here is what I do when the problem presents itself.
I will take the 2 pin header on the mobo that's giving me fits and I will (carefully) pinch the two prongs together so that there is a little resistance to the cable terminal when it plugs in. Of course you will want to remove all power, and it may require removing some components. Also you really want to be very careful with those pins, they are thin and fragile. I use a very thin probe to do this and I only move the pins just enough to make the cable stay in.

Similar to a plug that consistently falls out of a wall outlet, a little pinch can give enough resistance to keep the damn cord in place.

Solution