[SOLVED] Computer Restarting Randomly : Power Supply Issue?

Mar 21, 2020
Hey there, since the past 2 days I have noticed that my computer restarts randomly. It suddenly goes to black screen without any warning. To me it seems like the power supply might be failing, but I would like your input. I haven't replaced the motherboard, cpu, heatsink, and psu in about 10 years. I reapplied thermal past to the cpu about 1.5 years ago. The GPU, HD, SSD, and RAM were replaced within the past 3 years or so.

I noticed one time my PC restarted as I opened Blender, 3D software. But right now I am not noticing the issue. And last night I had no issues while running photoshop for 6-7 hours, working with a large photoshop file while having multiple internet browser tabs open. So at this point the restarts seem a bit random.

I noticed 2 times that the computer restarted shortly after waking it up from sleep mode. Other than that 2-3 times have just been random. And just a bit earlier my computer was not able to boot up and kept shutting down and restarting. Somehow this issue fixed on its own and hasn’t happened again.

Also I just updated my GPU bios and restarted my computer but I am not sure if this has fixed the issue since I recently did it.

What I haven’t tried: resetting my bios

Here are some of my computer parts:

–Power Supply: Corsair TX850W

–Graphic Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX

–Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium – LGA 1366 – X58

–CPU: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz

–RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3

–Solid State Drive: Samsung 750 EVO – 250GB

Here are readings from HWMonitor:
CeriA1x.jpg

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me troubleshoot this problem!

Thank you! - Yog

Solution
the hwinfo tool gives the same voltages which either means that the psu is crapping out or a sensor is bugged.

You don't need an 850watt psu,a 650watt should be more than fine. The Seasonic model should be fine.
Mar 21, 2020
@Vic 40 okay I just did that, here are the results, left to right. Seems like I am having an isssue with the power supply. Today I struggled to get the computer started. It kept restarting. What worked was letting the computer run for a few minutes by loading up the bios menu. I think the power supply needed to warm up a bit before it could have enough energy to load up the operating system. Also do you have any recommendations for a modular power supply? Currently I am looking at "Seasonic Focus GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular" on amazon. Could you please tell me if this is decent for my specs. Or is 850W going to waste extra energy for my build/specs. - Thank you!

qk1OsD4.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020
@Vic 40 okay great to hear this! Maybe I will get the 850W just incase i upgrade my mb and add an additional video card. thanks a lot for your generous help, I really appreciate it Vic! :)